Lamb to Slaughter

I walked out of the office. The group from before was dispersed and the new girl was still nowhere to be seen. I go to Ranpo at his desk; He had his feet propped up over some of the old snack wrappers on his desk. some of the wrappers on the desk still had some food in them but most just had sugary residue or crumbs left. Ranpo was staring up at the ceiling, I wasn't sure if he was lost in thought or just sulking. "You ready," I asked. 

"For what?" he says not removing his gaze from the ceiling. 

"For the case, Mr. Fukuzawa gave you," I said deadpanned.

"I don't remember it, give me a brief of it" I sighed. 'ooh my goooood just get up' I thought annoyed

"Man died in his house at around 5 to 5:30, cause of death: fatal hit to the head by a blunt object, suspects: none, weapon: undetermined."

he hummed to himself, "the police are hopeless as usual" he swung his legs off his desk and started looking through the drawers. He seemingly found what he was looking for cause he turned to me with an almost excited grin. 'please don't be stupid! please don't be stupid!' "Y/n I need you to test something out for me."

I sigh exhausted, "What is it?" he pulls out a pink plastic container. 

"I want you to test this candy for the new girl to try!" 'Well it wouldn't' I grabbed the box from his hand and pulled off the plastic film on the top and dipped one of the breadsticks in the frosting. 

"You know it's not actually half bad, the pudding kinda reminds me of macaron filling."

"Aren't those the sandwich cookie things"

"Yeah, I've been wanting some ever since I moved here but I couldn't find a bakery that sold them."

"Lame, whatever we should go to the case" Ranpo handed me back the file and we left the agency and walked to the train station.

Timeskip

We arrived at the apartment complex. We arrived on the third floor and entered into the apartment; it was big with a kitchen and table and a separate living room. Ranpo talked to Yasui, the person Ranpo was expecting to see the first and second cases I tagged along on. I walked around the house and looked into the bedroom, where the crime took place. The room was much colder than the rest of the house. The man was dead on the ground with a blow to the back of the head. Parts of his skull were broken and covered in dry blood. His hair had little water droplets on the end. A broken glass lay on the floor of what used to be water by the droplets in the cup. I exited the bedroom to find Ranpo still talking to Yasui but they were looking at the now widow mourning her husband. I walked up to Ranpo.

 He paused his conversation with Yasui and spoke to me, "Y/n this ones all yours, I'm just going to be on stand by."

I was shocked. Sure I was left to find the weapon for the first case, but that was only one part of the case not the entire thing. "What you can't be serious?!? This is your case!" 

Ranpo mearily shrugged, "Yours now, lets see what you got. try collecting evidence or something talk to witnesses."

"Ugh fine" I stormed off to talk to the widow. 'How is this guy the most valued member of the Agency!?! He doesn't even do his own cases! Sure he's smart but he's completely unreliable for completely selfish and stupid reasons like, I don't wanna its boring, ugh!'

I calmed myself down, 'I can't talk to the lady all mad, I'll probably freak her out. I calmly approached the woman, "Hi, ma'am I hope I'm not disturbing you. I understand losing your husband must be taking a toll on you but I was hoping I could ask you some questions."