Me and Kyouka

I walked out of the agency and onto the streets of Yokohama. I came to a crosswalk. As I waited I decided to check on my groceries to make sure the milk and peas were still cold. The milk was still cold, I was about to check the peas but everyone started walking so the light probably changed. I was approaching a familiar bench with a familiar small figure sitting on it. I called out to the no longer stranger, "Hey Kyo-chan!" She smiled at the nickname responding with her own.

"Hello (Shortened version of y/n)-chan" I sat on the bench next to her placing my groceries on the ground and placed the muffins in between me and her. "What are these?" She asked. 

"Oh, I had some extra cash so I bought some muffins for the people at my work. You want one?" I offered her. 

"Are you sure, I wouldn't want to bother" she says timidly. 

"It's fine, if I didn't want to give you any I wouldn't be offering them" I insisted. She took a strawberry muffin while I ate a blueberry muffin. "Do you like strawberry milk?" 

"yes why?" 

"here" I passed her a cartoon of the milk and kept the other for myself. "Muffins are dry and hard to eat if you don't have anything" 

"Hey I was wondering if you wanted try watching this show with me" I said while pulling out my phone. 

"Sure what's it about"

"Its about this girl in a world where a good amount of the population can partially transform into an animal. It's called Brand New Animal or BNA for short" I explained while pulling out and passing Kyouka an earbud.(IM NOT A FURRY I SWEAR)

Timeskip an hour and a half later

I noticed it was dark and the streetlights were already on. I pulled out my earbud and Kyouka took out hers. "We can finish it up later. So what do you think so far?" I asked. I wasn't sure how she felt about the show since she was so quiet while we were watching. I was afraid of asking her while we were watching in case I broke her immersion in the show.

"It was good when do you think we could finish it" She liked it more than I thought then.

"We can watch it tomorrow if you want I'll get more snacks" I planned. "Wouldn't be so cool to have an ability like those people in the show" 

"What do you mean" 

"While there's a lot of ability users in the world especially Yokohama. Wouldn't it be cool to have something that separates you from the rest? To have something that makes you special? To have something that makes you....more than average?" 

"Yes but abilities have their drawbacks, anyone who has an ability has consequences for being gifted. Whether they be mental illness, unfortunate circumstances, suffering, or lack of control over their gift. Being gifted comes with overbearing responsibilities." 

"I guess I never thought of it that way?" I've never thought about the negatives of having an ability. I always thought it would be a shiny skill but without training and control, you could go haywire. I pulled out my phone and checked the time 8:45. 8:45!?!?!? HOW'D I NOT NOTICE SOONER. 

"Oh my god Kyouka I'm so sorry for keeping you this late." I made up an excuse for her so her punishment would be less severe. "Just tell your family your friend was keeping you busy and you lost track of time." She looked at me with an almost startled but happy expression. She asked me in a soft almost whisper.

"We're .... friends?" she stared at me as though she was unclear of the answer to her question. 

"Of course! Your like my only friend in Yokohama." I held her by the shoulders. "I should go it's late, be safe Kyo!" I ran home waving to my friend as I left.

Kyoukas point of view

I sat down as my first friends' silhouette faded from my view. I can't do it. I can't drag her into my problems. I have to break this friendship off before she gets too close and gets hurt. I'll do it tomorrow, right before the suicide mission. It'll be better to say goodbye instead of just ghosting her.

Thanks so much for reading yall stay safe I know my schedules haywire but pls bare with me enjoy cause here comes the angst next chapter or upcoming chapters will tackle harsh topics such as abuse and neglect so if that triggers you dont read