Untitled Part 44

The bottle shattered on the floor, glass fragments scattering across the hardwood. 

"Y/N" Dazai called out. I broke out of my daze and removed my gaze from the girl before me. Instead, I focused on the mess that lay at my feet.

 "Sorry, my bad," I said. I studied Kyouka while I cleaned up the broken glass.

She wouldn't even look at me. The first friend I made here wouldn't even look at me. 

I guess she is the first friend I lost here too. I carried the broken glass to a trash can in the kitchen and threw everything out except the marble. I soon felt a buzzing from one of the pockets of the skirt. I pulled it out to find my mother calling me. Knowing she was an impatient woman and her time was not to be wasted I picked up immediately.

"Hello," I greeted.

"Y/n" my mother started "Do you know why I'm calling you?"

"No mother." 

"Last night I got a call from your school, there was an incident between you and a boy at the dance. Is that true?"

"Yes mother but please understand it wasn't my fault."

She sighed, "Y/n, I wanted a fresh start for you,"

"I understand mother I was doing my be-"

"And here you are starting problems again,"

"Yes, mother but please you're not listening-"

"-I'm not done wait your turn to speak. You have a new school, in a different country, and you get into a fight. Now you're trying to lie to my face about it. Why can't you just try to get along with people like your brother? You're acting like your father. I think spending so much time with him recently has really soulyed your attitude. You know Mitchell's kids never get in trouble."

I clenched my fists and jaw out of anger, "We don't need to bring your new boy toy into this, "

" Hey I don't want your attitude, young lady!"

"I don't need you to lecture me about how much better your replacement family is!"

"You know what? Forget it! I'll stop trying to help you, you think your father is so great then he can deal with the meeting instead of having me fly all the way to Japan to deal with this! God forbid he takes time out of his day to help his kids!" The phone cut off, and her voice was replaced with a buzzing sound. 

"Fucking bitch" I turned around and leaned on the counter, I slid down to the floor. I sat stewing in my own misery. 

I can't do it right now. I just want to sleep, I don't want to deal with this shit.

"That was a shit show," a voice said above me. I looked at the black shoes and tan pants. I looked up to meet the closed eyes. He sat down next to me eating a chocolate bar. " You got a fucked up family, I knew that but didn't think you had a neglecting and psycho mom."

"Thanks, Ranpo what a great observation you've made," I stated letting my gaze fall to the floor.

"I am the world's greatest detective after all," He said boisterously.

"Like Batman?"

"No! I'm so much cooler than some cosplayer with a load of cash."

"Alright world's greatest detective, since you know everything. What the hell am I gonna do about my meeting with the school? That is assuming you figured that out."

"Simple just have one of us fill in and act as your father," Ranpo suggested.

"That's a great idea in practice Ranpo, but no offense, everyone here is literally insane."

"Almost everyone, ask the president to, I'm sure he'll agree to it." Ranpo leaned in closer, "Besides while you're there you can tell him about the event from last night." 

I flinched, thinking about the cold metal on my head, the sticky liquid on my skin, and the sickening smell of the man's breath that I could feel on my shoulders and collar. "How do you know about that?"

"Dazai texted me last night. Before you start freaking out only me and he knows right now, " he said reassuring me. " Right now we're just trying to figure out how to get housing for you and move your stuff without your mom or Mori Ougai knowing about it." 

"Ranpo," I looked at the man, "Do I have to talk about it, I just want to forget about it," I looked back to the ground and hugged my knees to my chest. "It... It makes me feel.....Dirty... and stupid, really dirty and stupid." 

"Y/n," he paused, " I know these things are hard and it feels wrong cause it is that it happened, but you didn't do anything wrong."

"Ok, it's just... what if something did happen?" 

"What if..?" he trailed off.

"What if Daza didn't show up?" "I can't live with the sin of knowing I could have let something happen to myself that night because I was panicked and acting irrationally."

"Well, I can't talk to you about sin or guilt and that shit, but If you stick around, I'll do all the logic for you. That is if you help me get from case to case, deal?"

I giggled, "yeah, deal" 

He stood up and held out his hand, "Ready?"

"Yeah, I think so." I grasped his hand and pulled myself up, accepting whatever next life was going to throw at me.

I'm not dead bitches, I live and deal with more cliffhangers hahaha!!!! Oh yeah and sorry I was gone forever or whatever I'm running for vice president for my club and yeah trying to balance life so hope you enjoy I know its short but I didn't know where else to cut the chapter off at.