Untitled Part 58

As we approached the agency door I heard the usual sounds from it but with the addition of the laughter of children. Mr. Fukuzawa entered the office, then Ranpo, then me. I stopped after I closed the door behind me. I saw the family, they seemed to get along. They were laughing, talking, teasing, and mindlessly bickering. The father holding the youngest on his knee, and the two older children trying to solve a Rubix cube. 

Then I saw the mother. She was smiling and laughing with the kids as she tried to explain how to solve the colored cube. She seemed so gentle, so patient, so happy, and to me, so foreign. Was this really the same woman who raised me? Where was this woman throughout my childhood? Was this woman like this when she raised Alex? Did she just get burnt out when she got to me, or was I just difficult? 

My staring seemed to catch her attention, she looked over and smiled. She got up and quickly walked over with arms open and hopeful eyes. "There's my girl!" She then wrapped her arms around my shoulders and she buried her face in my neck. My shoulders tensed and raised to help try and escape her hot breath on my neck. I hesitantly wrapped my arms around her as well. 

'this is what mothers and daughters do right' I thought, 'I don't really...like this, it wasn't like Mr. Fukuzawa's hugs, it felt forced. It was firm but it lacked warmth. 

She then released me and held me by my shoulders. "Well, now that I found you, What one earth are you doing here?" 

I kept a deadpan face, "I could ask you the same thing."

I didn't seem to lose my edge since coming to Japan since it seems I'd already hit a nerve, "Don't you sass me, young lady, I spent the whole first day of our family vacation hunting you down."

"Wow, that's amazing, congrats, look at you Sherlock, you've cracked the case of your abanded daughter moving on with her life." 

"I can not believe you! I-" She was then caught off by a lean tanner man stepping in between me and my mother. 

"Hey, let's not fight we came to fix things between you two, right?" He said.

"Your right, I just lost my temper a bit, I'm sorry," My mother then took in deep breaths and closed her eyes.

"How about we catch up and talk this whole thing out over lunch?" The man suggested and my mother agreed with him.

"That would be great, we'd love to."

"I'm not going, I'm busy," I said.

"Yes, you are young lady." My mother fought back.

"Why should I? I have much better things to do with my time." I countered.

Mr. Fukuzawa in a moment of betrayal sided with my mother. "Y/n we have a clear schedule, just getting lunch wouldn't hurt."

"But what about the case?" I disguised my plead for an escape with false worry.

But it was ignored, "We don't need to worry about it for another two and a half hours." I tried to silently plead not to go, "Y/n can I speak with you privately for a moment." 

"Fine," I caved and followed him into his office, "I'm not going, she's crazy and I'm not wasting my time on her." 

"I understand, but she's making an effort to bring you back into her life, and she's your mother." Mr. Fukuzawa says.

"I don't care if she's my mother or the milkman! I don't want her back in my life. She doesn't really care she just wants a new addition to her game of house. If she really cared she would have fixed her own family before joining someone else's."

"Y/n your missing the point I'm trying to get at."

I began pacing, "No, I know exactly what you're getting at!"

"Y/n"

"She's your mother!"

"Y/n"

"You should try and understand where she's coming from!"

"Y/N"

"Family matters blood is thicker than water!"

"Y/N!" 

"WHAT!" I snapped. I finally took a breath in, my face felt hot and flushed, my breathing was irregular, and crescent shapes were dented in from my nails.

"I'm not asking you to forgive your mother."

"What?"

"You are technically in your mother's custody currently. But, maybe we can use this lunch as an opportunity to convince your mother to hand over custody to me."

"So you mean, you... want me?" 

"Yes, of course, I do, and I believe you truly flourish in the agency environment."

Tears slowly welled up in my eyes and poured out. I don't know why it meant so much to me. It was probably just childish emotions, and I was overwhelmed by the relief of not being rejected. I was moved by the joy of being accepted and wanted

Wanted....

He actually wants me to be here, not because it benefits him, not because he's obligated to, not because he's doing something out of the kindness of his heart. But simply because he enjoys my presence and appreciates me as a person.

Mother meets daughter meets surprised stepfather meets adoptive father?!?!?!!?! Anyways hope you guys enjoyed, I've discovered the greatest joy I was so amazed by. A kid I help watch hugged me today! I know it doesn't mean a lot. I don't even really like kids but I felt like sobbing cause it was so sweet since I was about drop her off and she just hugged me boom! said goodbye and left. IM FR SOBBING!!! any who hope you liked it pls comment and enjoy the angst.