A Night to Remember

I gave Mr. Ougai an extra of my house key so I could go straight to the dance without worrying about having to drop my bags off. The limo pulled up by the school a little further down the street from the entrance. I stepped out taking my purse with me and waved Mr. Ougai goodbye as I walked to the entrance. Shimmering fairy lights, a small food bar, and teenagers in their best dresses and suits, all treated me as I opened the gymnasium. Above everything was a giant disco ball yet to be illuminated but surely would by the end of the night. Loud music was blaring from the huge speakers on and next to the stage, most likely ruining the hearing of the kids close to the stage. I looked around the gym to try and find a familiar face. I spotted Ishida, Hori, Katherine, and Asahina grouped together at the very edge of the crowd. I walk up to the group. We talked about the dance and complimented each other's outfits until someone approached our group. A boy in our grade asked Asahina to dance. She was skeptical to accept the offer, looking between Ishida and the boy hoping for an interruption. However, it never came as Ishida silently watched her accept his offer. I watched as the boy pulled Asahina to the dance floor and Ishida stood in shame before walking off. I followed Ishida to one of the doors connecting the gym to the fields outside. He sat on the cold concrete steps, the wind occasionally ruffling his hair and tie. I sat down on a step next to him and wrapped my arms around my knees, which I pulled into my chest. My arms were covered in goosebumps from the evening's chill air. Ishida and I sat with only the sound of crickets chirping and cars driving by to fill the silence. The loud music from before was just muffled sounds and barely noticeable. I wasn't ready to break the silence, unsure of how Ishida would react. Ishida on the other hand was ready.

"I should have asked her," he said staring down at the steps in front of him.

"Yeah," I said not knowing what else to say but asking for my own curiosity, "Why didn't you?" He sighed. I looked over at him, his defeated expression lit by the moonlight. "I don't know nerves I guess?" He said reluctantly.

"You know I thought you two would look cute together," I said looking back into the distance, enjoying the peaceful environment compared to the bright lights and blaring music of the gym, which became nothing but muffled sounds and slivers of light coming through the doors behind us.

He looked over to me, "thought?" 

"Yeah, I could tell you guys had something going on but neither of you made moves." 

"So, you don't think we'd be a cute couple anymore?" He asked.

"Well, not if your gonna sit out here and sulk about some other guy asking her to dance," I sighed looking into Ishida's, "Listen I know you really like her, don't you want to show her that, and dance with her in your arms tonight?"

"Yeah your right, I should just sit hear and feel bad about myself. I should make my feelings for Asahina clear to her." Ishida stood up confidently.

"Atta boy!" I hyped him up

"This makes me think now," Ishida turned to me one last time. "Is there anyone you want to dance with tonight? Anybody's arms you want to be in or be in yours?" he asked.

I thought about who I'd want to dance with. The more I thought about the more I realized there was only one person who came to mind. "Well there was this girl I met, I haven't seen her in a while. When she left it was kind of a mess but I can't help but hope she could have come to this with me." 

Ishida held out his hand to me, "I think you guys would be a cute couple then," I grabbed his hand and pulled myself up. "what, me and her, no I wouldn't, that would-"

Ishida grabbed me by the shoulders "hey listen it's okay if you're gay. Don't treat it like something is wrong with you if you are. love is love no matter what shape or size. It doesn't matter if its two men or two women, or a man and a woman, or genderfluid and nonbinary"