First meetings

"Class today we have a new student!" Mrs. Nakamura announced. I was disinterested in the news, I'm already comfortable with the people I know. I don't need to bother with anyone else. I turned back to my book. It was the latest book by Edgar Allen Poe, The Pit, and the Pendulum. I kept reading before the seat to my right was taken. I looked over to my left and saw Asahina looking at me and gesturing at something, or someone, behind me. I gave her a 'do I have to' face and she returned with a 'say hi before I do it for you'. I turned to my right and met a girl with almost identical features to Asahina, except hers were more European and familiar. 'Oh god, not her. Please god anybody but her.' I met the gray deceptive eyes of my former childhood friend, Katherine Reynolds. Also known to me for a long time, Katie. 

"Oh, my gosh Y/n, it's been so long," she exclaimed. 

Asahina looked at me, "L/n do you know her" 

"Yeah we used to be friends back in c/n" I explained.

"Yeah, we're best friends" 'dear god please don't do this' "even if she was a troublemaker and struggled a bit in school, I was there for her" 'There she goes'. I closed my book and put it in my bag before focusing on today's lesson to distract myself. We went over motifs and the theme formula and luckily I was able to ignore Katie and focus on work for class and the rest of the day. That was until math class. I sat down and just my luck Katie was sitting next to me. Class started and eventually, in the last 20 minutes we were given time to work as a group or independently. I worked with Katie because even if I didn't get along with her back then and we ended our friendship on the wrong note she was still a good person. After some time of working on the worksheet we finished, I pulled out my book from before and she pulled out her romance novel. "Hey, we should hang out after school today. You can come to my house."

 I looked up from my book, I felt bad saying no but I promised Mrs. Kouyou I'd be there. "Sorry I can't, I have an offer to paint something for someone, and I don't want to lose this opportunity. I'm sure Asahina and Hori are doing something. Didn't they invite you to Karaoke?" 

She's upset. I could tell she was clenching her hands under the seat, and her face contorted into a forced teeth-less smile. "Your right, and it's ok that you can't make it. I understand, besides it wouldn't be the first time you ditched me." 'Is she really doing this again? After all these years she's still pulling the same bullshit'

"It's not that, I already had plans. I'm sorry but I can't just cancel a few hours before I'm meant to meet up" 

"I guess your right, you can come over some other time." I checked the clock hoping that this shit show would be almost over and, thanks to the gods showing mercy on my already beaten soul, we only had a few minutes left of class. I packed up my math homework into its folder and packed my bag with everything besides my book. Once the bell finally rang I made my escape saying hi to Asahina, Hori, and Ishida, before leaving the school grounds. I texted Mr. Fukuzawa that I won't be able to come into the agency today and that I was meeting up with a long-lost aunt. He told me to be safe and text him if I needed anything. I picked up a 36 by 18 canvas and black, white, blue, yellow, and red paint. I entered the address Mrs. Kouyou gave me into my phone and walked towards the center of Yokohama where a large black skyscraper stood surrounded by four other skyscrapers. I checked the address to make sure I was going the right way and it told me to enter the center skyscraper. I entered the building receiving glares and looks of confusion from the people in the lobby. I walked up to the front desk trying to keep a low profile and avoid the stares I got.

"Can I help you?" The receptionist said in a raspy voice.

"Yeah, I'm here to see Mrs.Kouyou" I answer trying to block out the noise of murmuring and act like I don't feel the stares of onlookers. An elevator in the lobby dinged and the room hushed. I tried to keep an even lower profile since someone important might have entered.