Shopping

Time: Saturday Afternoon

Location: Home

"Hey Mr. Mori, I'm really sorry but I'm gonna have to cancel my plans with Elise."

" Oh dear, Elise will be quite upset, why the sudden cancelation." He asked.

I put the phone on speakerphone and put it on the dresser while I searched through the closet. "Well, I completely forgot that I have my school dance today and the closest mall is kinda far from my house. I won't be able to go out and get back home in time. If I did go I'd have to change so that my clothes don't get dirty on the subway then run back home change into my dress then run to school for the dance."

"Yes, that does sound like an issue. I have an idea, Elise and I were going to drive to the mall so why don't we pick you up on our way there," he suggested.

"Well," I thought it over, "I won't get my dress dirty on the train and if I can drop off my bags before the dance starts I won't have to worry about them." I thought out loud. "Alright, that can work for me. I'll send you my address."

"Alright me and Elise are leaving now," he said.

"Okay, see you soon Mr. Ougai."

"See you soon Y/n." he said, I hung up the phone. I took out the dress, laid it on the bed, and searched the closet for a matching pair of heels. I brushed out my hair and put on the dress. I grabbed a simple over-the-shoulder purse to hold my phone and money and went downstairs to wait. I got a notification from Mr. Ougai telling me that he was outside. I put on my heels and put my phone in my purse. I exited my home and locked the door. I went down the stairs to find a black limo parked on the street. I was confused, 'this can't be the car can it?'. To my surprise, a man came out the passenger's seat and opened the back door for me. I stepped into the limo and sat down next to Elise. Mori sat on the other side of her. She sat absorbed into whatever was on her tablet, leaving me Mr. Ougai to converse among ourselves.

"Nice ride, You must have a fancy job. You saving people's lives or something?" I asked.

"Not anymore, no," he said with an almost fond grin on his face. "I still do doctor-like procedures if necessary but I much more often work people's lives who've ended."

"Oh," 'he must be a mortician or a pathologist' "I was considering going into one of those fields."

His face seemed to brighten at that, he closed his eyes and his crows' feet were more visible. "Is that so?"

"Yeah, never got the right opportunities though. No ones looking for an apprentice and whenever I asked about it people thought I was insane."

"I don't think it's that weird" he reassured me.

I was taken aback no one was ever supportive of the career direction I was planning. "Your serious?" I asked in disbelief. 

"But of course, someone has to. Why not someone who cares and can handle a corpse?"

"People never really thought of it that way."

"People can be close-minded to many things. They feel threatened by things that are odd or that they don't understand," he said.

"Yeah, I understand that. I must have been pretty threatening to my peers."

"How so?" he asked curiously.

"I was considered lazy by most of my peers and teachers but I was more gifted than they were. So, a long part of my childhood was isolating. It was just me, my mother, my brother, and Papa. Sometimes it even felt like my mother and brother were at a distance but Papa always did his best to be there when he could and understand." I explained.