A gift

I went home after I got Ranpo to the agency, of course, I gave him the file before though. I didn't want to be around others, after doing things on my own for so long, I wasn't ready to put all my eggs in one basket just yet. Papa's still out there, he's probably just busy right now. He'll be back, he promised. I can't just abandon him for a new family. No, then I'll be like her, getting a replacement once she breaks her toy. I'm not her, I'm better than her.

I arrived home. I did my routine, shower, hair, teeth, pajamas, water the plants, and then let Chiyo in. I went to the window, I didn't realize what poor shape the outside of it was in. The bottom of the was dented and all scratched up. "Chiyo was this you?" the cat just looked at me blankly. No, a cat wouldn't be able to dent it. It probably just came this way. "I'm going to bed Chiyo." I got into bed and stared at the ceiling hoping my exhaustion would outway my racing mind but I was unfortunately wrong. I trust the agency of course but are they completely trustworthy? Afterall Kyouka said that they had drawbacks from their skills. Maybe i'd be best to wait it out. I don't need to stress about this I have a shopping trip in 2 days to blew as much money as I want. Even better its not coming out of my pocket.

Time skip

I left my house ready to get the schools day over with. I was sweating a little at my neck thanks to Chiyo who was sitting on my shoulders. Luckily, I wasn't too hot thanks to the change in weather. The summer season was losing its grasp for the chill winds and colorful leaves of autumn. Soon the school will be having us switch over to our winter uniforms, which were essentially same as the current ones but longer sleeves, jackets and longer skirts. I arrived at school and put Chiyo onto the ledge where he liked to sit and walked into school. The halls seemed more empty than usual. I checked my pocket watch and discovered it to be earlier than expected. 

"Huh, I wasn't even rushing this morning," I murmured to myself. "Whatever I can get some quiet time with book or something." I went to my homeroom class and pulled out on of my history books. History can be interesting if you find the right stuff. The cults of Dionysus just so happened to peak my interest. It was quite progressive in modern terms, it didn't bias people because of race, gender, sexuality, or status. Even thought they were considered a cult they were more like a party club. They drank, danced, and just basically partied. My focus on my book was broken by the classroom door opening. I looked up and saw Ishida standing in the door way. He noticed his presence right after I noticed his, "Hey Ishida, your early."

He took the seat next me and placed his bag on the floor, "I could say the same to you." He smiled but it soon faded into a serious look.

"Is something wrong?" I asked putting my book away to give him my full attention. 

"Yeah, I just wanted ask what you were doing interviewing people last night. I know it was for the detective but why?" He asked concerned, 'to be fair I would also be concerned if one of my classmates was asking questions about your recently murdered neighbor.'

"I work for one of the agencies that assist the police, sort of like a paid internship."

"Oh, got it." We fell into a bit off silence before Ishida broke it once more. "Hey you're a girl right?"

"Yeah female, female presenting when I feel like it."

"Ok, I wanted to ask you a question." he says turning to face me.

"Shoot" 

" You know the dance tomorrow?"

"Theres a dance tomorrow?"

"uh yeah, you seriously don't remember they've been making announcement for 2 weeks now!"

"Huh, I guess it must have slipped my mind." 'In my defense I've had a lot going on recently.'

"Anyway, are you gonna be there?" he asked.

"Yeah, I don't see why not. I'd just have to get a dress today."

"Ok I need your help." He said. He began to nervously fiddle with the sleeves of his shirt. "I want Asahina to be my date but I'm nervous to ask her."

"Oh, so whats the plan Romeo?" 

"I just need you for support and please don't compare it to Romeo and Juliet. That was a really bad relationship."

"Yeah, it was a total dumpster fire. Did you know it was actually a satire of romance?"

"Hmm, that actually makes a lot of sense. Hey forgot to ask what were you reading?"

"Oh, it was a book about the Dionesiun cults in Gree-"

"Hey guys" I was cut off by the one only, Katherine. "You guys excited about the dance?"

"Yeah we were just talking about it." I say.

"You guys going with anyone" her question was clearly more aimed at Ishida than me. 

"Yeah, kinda I want to ask out a girl I've known for bit so I hope she says yes." he admits.

Katherine was socially aware enough to realize that he wasn't talking about her. I could to tell the concept of his rejection enraged her. My only fear is who would the target of that anger.  "You don't say, I'm sure she's just lovely." She said as she put on her nice girl act and forced a smile when we both knew she was fuming inside. "I'm gonna see if anyone else is here yet, See ya!" She said she left the class. 

Lord please help me.

Timeskip

I left the school with Ishida, Asahina, and Hori. Katherine, luckily, being no where to be seen. With my new found information, I realized all the hidden glaces Ishida gave towards Asahina. I picked up Chiyo from his ledge and departed from the group to walk home. Once I arrived home I found a package in front of my door. I unlocked the door and brought the package in setting it on the table. I opened the package to find tissue paper and a letter. The page was blank except for a bitten apple in the bottom right hand corner. 'It was from papa. '

I grabbed a light from the kitchen and brought it just close enough too heat the paper but not burn it. Soon the writing of my Father native tongue appeared.

Hello my little mysh,

I know I haven't wrote to you in so long but I truly promise I would have if I could have. I have just gotten a recent taste of freedom once more, I'm aware if taught you honest is good policy but you must also remember the trick of the card is one of the most useful skills in life. I took some of my earnings from this gamble and got you something I hope you like. I hope it will fit you and you'll find a nice place to wear it. I hope when I return you can wear it, while I treat us to lunch and cake perhaps. I also have another gift for you. I know your older now and aren't just a little kid but you will always be my little mysh in my heart. I remember you'd steal my hat so I thought it was about time got you one of your own. Please take good care of these gifts I hope to see you again soon

                   ~Papa

P.s. don't let your mother know about or your brother, i know how much of a snitch he can be.

I put down the letter and untapped the gifts inside. I found a white dress with a flowing white skirt down to the knees and a baby blue ribbon tied around the waist. It was truly beautiful, it was elegant but simple. In some way it was like Papa complex on the surface but simple at heart. I then pulled out the second Item and found a white fluffy Ushanka hat, similar to my Papa's but smaller to fit my head. 

"It's wonderful. I don't even have to go out and buy a dress now" I sighed to myself and relaxed onto the couch. "Oh Papa, you always give the best gifts"

Hey guys hope you liked the chapter.  I'm sizing down some of my previous plans and I'm still unsure how the flow is going so does everything make sense seem fluent to you guys rn. Anyway hope you liked it stay safe and celebrate season 4!

Sleepy~