1. Eh... bye?

"Noraaa! Are you coming for diner"

My mother is screaming again. Rolling my eyes I get up from the soft sand and walk home. We have been living here for two weeks now and I could be found here by the sea every day. It gives me peace. We used to only come here for a week in the summer, but now I can enjoy it every day. From the sun, the sea, the cool water... and maybe even the surf boys. Guys in general really, but a six pack is a nice bonus, right?

I sit down at the table and look unobtrusively at my brother. He's only eleven months older, but he acts like it's ten years. Always so protective, ugh. Luckily he's going to college now, so I'm going to have a normal life at school. In Limburg he was still in the same school and no boy was allowed to come near me. I mean, how can you watch a guy's muscles from behind your brother's back?

"Want to go to school tomorrow, Norie?" my mother asks. Something like that again. Mom always calls me "Norie". No idea why, but if the people at my new school know about this, my life will be over. She always says it in a honey sweet voice, which makes it hard not to laugh, as long as it's not about yourself.

"Sure, Mom. Whatever." I try to say it as sarcastic as possible. The truth is, I won't be able to sleep tonight from excitement and nerves. But when I say that here, Alec just laughs at me. And yes, sure. About three hours after the diner I lie in my bed worrying and tossing about the first day. What if they ignore me? What if they start bullying me? Or worse, what if I'm the newbie that everyone thinks is a freak and has no friends? I sigh and turn around again.

*******

Here I am. In front of my locker, completely invisible to anyone who's been in school here for years and has friends. Suddenly I'm startled by a blow on the locker next to mine. I quickly look up and see a girl jumping up and down hyper.

"Uh... hi?" I say hesitantly. She giggles and stops jumping. "Hey, I'm Nell, Nellie for the friends. I need to give you a tour, which I'm going to do now. Oh, I feel like we're going to be best friends!" She calls into my ear and I hear a thump Even though she just screamed me to deaf, I could use a best friend. So I nod and let her pull me along

She just explained where to go for the next few hours when she's standing still and wide-eyed at something further down the hall Confused, I look at what the hell she must be looking at in this dull school hallway, but I see nothing.

"Nellie? Everything fine? Did you forget to take your pills or something?" I ask concerned. She sends me an angry look and then starts to whisper. "There's one thing you should know, Nora. Those guys over there, you can look, but arriving is strongly discouraged." She points to a group of boys further down the hall. There are about four or five of them. I roll my eyes. Fine, bad boys.

"They can't be that bad." I try. I get that death look from her again. "No, they are much worse. The one with the leather jacket over there, that's Stan. He is the boss of the group, the worst of them all. Apparently he's done every girl here." I look at her questioningly, and the embarrassed look in her eyes gives me my answer.

"Those idiots mustn't think they can touch me. Ew, gross! I'd rather eat my banana peel." I shiver. I open my locker and suddenly feel a cold hand on my neck. A shiver runs through my spine and I immediately know this isn't Nell's hand. 

Slowly I turn around. Of course, the bad boys have to come back to see who the new one is. And unfortunately for me, they don't like what they see. Would that Stan guy always have that angry look in his eye, or is it just because I'm such a nice person?

"What did you call us just now?" he growls. Jesus, well done Nora! You immediately have the bad boys on your hood. But if they think this is intimidating, they should eat some more sandwiches.

"I called you idiots." I smile sweetly. Stan's eyes narrow into slits. "Listen girl. We don't feel like all that new-and-tough stuff. You have to respect us or there will be consequences, understand?" The anger in his voice is unmistakable. Oooh, boys in leather jackets with a short fuse, scary.

"No, didn't understand anything. And I would appreciate it if you stand a little further. You make my aura impure."

"Enough!' his voice booms. I am grabbed by my collar and pushed against my locker. My feet are about forty centimeters above the ground and my back hurts. A painful moan leaves my mouth and he grins. So he thinks I'm giving in?

I kick Stan hard in the balls and he quickly lets go of me. He collapses and now I'm grinning. "Don't mess with the newbie, I'd say." I say in a sweet voice. Then I run off to find my class.

********

Why is math so boring? We can all count, what is the purpose of counting letters and calculating how many watermelons Mike buys? He'll figure it out for himself.

Finally the bell rings and I'm on my way to my next lesson, bio. When I arrive everyone is already together, so I sit alone in the penultimate row. It's less than five minutes into the lesson when I'm already absently staring out the window. 

Then I'm startled by the door that opens. Stan and his group enter and ignore the teacher. I try to hide my face with my hand, but of course he has already seen me. Yes, what do I expect? That hand doesn't cover that much either...

So he sits down next to me with his stupid grin. "Hey, newbie." he says sultryly in my ear. I shiver and roll my eyes. "Uh...bye, moron." I growl. I get up and sit at another couch. Then I focus on the lesson again, but I hear his followers laugh at him.

So I turn and stick my tongue out at him in triumph. I shouldn't have done that, because he sits down next to me again. 'What. Are. You. Doing.' I growl. I really growl too much!

'Well, newbie. You just gave me an invitation to tongues, so I'll take your cue from you.' I look at him confused. What does he mean? And before I know it, it happens.

Stan Graey's lips are on mine.

********

Shipnames?

xxx