3. Friends?

'I am home!' I call from the bottom of the stairs. Mom will probably be back in her sewing studio again. Oh, there she is. "How was school, honey?" she asks interested.

Well, first I was pressed against the locker by the bad boy, then he kissed me and then my locker was full of sand. Then he had me detained by him and he thought he was embarrassing me by letting me score a touchdown.

"Nice. And oh yeah, I'm on the school's rugby team." I say enthusiastically. Yes, after my touchdown, the coach asked me. And why not? Stan couldn't help but laugh... 

But that doesn't matter to me, he shouldn't think that he can also determine my life a bit!

*********

After dinner I start my homework. Off, math. After 15 minutes I get a message.

Nellie: With me tomorrow afternoon?

I felt like spending an afternoon with Nell. But what if Stan is there too? It's already clear that he doesn't like me...

Nora: Is your brother going to be there?

Nellie: No, normally he meets with Max and Jason.

Nora: Okay, I'm coming. What time?

Nellie: 1 pm with me, you know the address

*********

I'm right outside Nellie and Stan's door when a car pulls into the driveway. Stan gets out and walks without looking up at the door. Only when he almost pushes me over does he look up.

"Jeez, Nora! What are you doing here?" he asks, startled. I roll my eyes. "I stand here waiting for you and begging you to marry me." I say sarcastically. He chuckles. "Sorry, Queen. I don't marry anyone. But if you want..."

And then, for the second time in two days, his mouth is on mine. This time I'm going with it. Why not?

Wait. This is wrong. I'm kissing Stan Graey, the biggest bad boy in school and my best friend's brother.

I push him off me. He laughs and shakes his head and lets me in. I run up the stairs and knock on Nellie's door.

"Go away, Nora. You're not here for me, are you!" she shouts. Wait what? She wouldn't- "I saw you kiss!" she calls now. "Nellie, I can explain! He kissed me, and I pushed him away!" I try. She doesn't respond. Hopeless...

I run back down to Stan. But he's not here so I walk back upstairs. I knock on his door. Right, I think it's his door. There's no decoration on it, because that's probably not badboy enough.

The door flies open and Stan looks at me confused. "Huh? Que- I mean Nora, what are you doing here?" he asks surprised. Was he just going to call me queen?"You have to help me. Ne-" He interrupts me. "I have to? I don't need to do anything. Bye!' He slams the door. Serious?

I knock again. Growling, he opens the door. "Queen, I told you I don't have to do anything. Fuck off." My eyes widen.

"Do you know what you are? A big, annoying jerk!" I call to him. Then I walk back to Nell's door. Now she does open. She looks at me with wide eyes. "Did you just yell at Stan?" she asks in astonishment. I shrug. "He deserved it." I say simple.

"Of course he deserved it! Stan always deserves to be yelled at! But no one has ever done that. That's why it's so special!" she explains. I frown. It's not that hard is it?

*********We are just playing a game of Monopoly when there is a knock at the door. Nellie rolls her eyes. "There you will have it." And indeed, because Stan enters the room.

"Uh...Nora? Can I talk to you?" he stutters. Is Stan Graey stuttering Now? I nod. He sighs. "In private..." he murmurs.

Oh sorry!' Nellie says quickly, covering her ears. Stan growls at her. Then he grabs my hand and pulls me into the hallway. I cross my arms across my chest.

"So, what's so important?" I ask uninterested. I want to know, but I don't want him to know that I want to know. He looks at me with a look I haven't seen on him before... fear?

"I...uh...would like...uh...no more war...have..." he stutters. My eyebrows shoot into the air. He twists uncomfortably under my stare. Then, very politely, he extends his hand. My eyebrows are now higher than Mount Blanc.

"Friends?" he asks nervously. Why is he acting so weird? I shake his hand. "Friends. Tell me, friend, why are you acting so weird?" I'd better ask directly. He looks at me with an innocent look.

"I've never had to do this. And no one ever called me names." he says, looking away. "Well, there's a first time for everything." I smile. Then I leave him in the hallway and walk back to Nellie.