4. Okay then, weirdo

I stand in front of my locker and take a deep breath. Today is the big day. There's a game tonight against another school's rugby team, and I've only been on the team for three days. Still, the coach thinks I'm good enough to participate. So now I'm really nervous and can't get a bite down my throat. Then I am pushed against my locker and I gasp for air.

'Sorry!' shouts the boy who crushed me. Sorry I'm a lot... I still can't breathe and I'm starting to panic. Then I see Stan approach me concerned. I reach for him, there is no one else here to help me. "H...Help." I try to say. He looks around, then points to himself and whispers, "Me?" I nod quickly. Who else?

Concerned, he walks over to me. He starts talking to me, sweet nothings I didn't expect. Thoughtlessly he strokes my back, which strangely reassures me. After a few minutes I am breathing normally again. I look at him gratefully. 'Thank you.' I whisper softly. 'Do not mention it.' he smiles. Then he looks at my lips. For a moment it looks like he's going to kiss me, but then he gets up and walks away. Okay?

**********

Finally the day is over. Now I'm dressing for the game, which starts in about half an hour. I walk to the side where Stan is talking to Max and stand next to him. "Hey, Max!" I smile. "Hello, Nora." he winks. Then he looks apologetically at Stan. "Sorry, dude." he mumbles, after which he walks away. What was that?

I tap Stan on the shoulder, making him turn to face me. But just when I touch him, a shock goes through his body. What? He looks at me for a moment. "I... er... I have to go... the bathroom." he stutters. Then he quickly walks away before I can ask anything else. Why is he acting so weird all day? Did I do something wrong?

*********

"Good touchdown, Nora! Wow, you run like a bitch!" Mane laughs as we walk to the changing rooms. I laugh too. We won with my touchdown. When I scored, all the guys came up to me to lift me up. All the boys except Stan. He stood there leaning against the fence, rolling his eyes because I was getting so much attention. I don't understand what I did wrong. Everything was fine this morning, and now he's acting so weird.

I walk out of the locker room again when I'm changed and I'm waiting for the boys. We agreed to have a drink to celebrate the victory. I'm just about to knock on the door and ask where they are when I hear yelling.

"Just stay away from her! It is not that hard!"

"Dude, she's not yours! You just want her for one night and then dump her again!"

"Yes! I've never felt this way! I have no idea what to do..."

What is this about? Oh yes, guys. I decide to wait on the bench a bit further. My legs are so tired. I wait another five minutes, but the boys just don't come. So I lay on my side and close my eyes. That game really exhausted me! Slowly I fall asleep and forget where I am.

I wake up because I'm being lifted. I open my eyes with difficulty and look straight into Max's face. "Max? What's up?" I ask softly. Before he can answer I am pulled into someone else's arms. Now I look into Stan's worried face. "Queen! Is everything alright? Is everything alright?" I smile. Then I hear the other boys laughing at my nickname. Only Stan doesn't seem to care. He continues to stare at me concerned.

"Everything's okay, Stan. Go out with your friends. I'm going home. That match exhausted me quite a bit." I giggle. He looks at me like I've gone mad. 'Not at all. I'll take you home!' he says, and from his voice he tolerates no contradiction. "You go. I'm not coming tonight." he says to his friends. Then he walks away.

He gently puts me in the car and then gets in. He looks at me every minute while driving. Why is he acting so paranoid? "Stan, I'm okay. Just tired." I sigh. He sighs once too, but just keeps looking at me. 

In the meantime we have arrived at my house, but when I want to get out he stops me. He seems to be unsure of what to say. "What is it, Stan?" I ask impatiently. I just want to sleep. Then he shakes his head. "Nothing. Never mind." I roll my eyes and walk inside. Okay then, weirdo.