12. Stars

Stan: Tonight 9 pm with me x

I get a warm feeling when I read his message. So our date tonight is still going on! For a moment I thought Stan had changed his mind because he didn't say anything. Smiling, I text back.

Nora: What are we going to do? x

Stan: Sorry queen, but I can't say anything about that x

Although I want to know what we're going to do my cheeks are turning red. I quickly hide my face when I see my brother looking weird. "Mom, can I sleep with Nell tonight?" I ask sweetly. She nods.

******

I'm just about to ring the bell when the door snaps open. "Queen!" Stan shouts as he pulls me into a hug. He gives me a short kiss on my lips and then takes my hand, after which he pulls me inside.

"Mom! Dad!" he shouts when we are in the living room. His parents come over and look surprised when they see me. "Hello, Nora. How are you?" asks Mrs. Graey. I raise my thumb, a little overwhelmed by Stan's enthusiasm. Mr Graey seems a little impatient.

"Stan, when is that 'girlfriend' of yours coming?" When he says 'girlfriend' he makes quotes with his finger. Immediately I am offended. Why does everyone think he can't have a girlfriend?

Stan's enthusiasm visibly diminishes after what his father has said. He clears his throat. "Mom, Dad, this is...uh...now my girlfriend." he says uncomfortably. His parents' eyes widen. They don't seem to know what to say. Stan takes my hand again and leads me up the stairs.

"Sorry for that. I thought they were going to be more enthusiastic." he says softly. I smile at him and squeeze his hand. "Doesn't matter. As long as you're enthusiastic." He nods and smiles too. We stop in front of his door. He seems to hesitate for a moment and then looks at me anyway. I see uncertainty in his eyes.

"Listen. I've never been on a date so I don't know how that goes. But I really tried my best for this one. And there's something else..." He pauses and takes a deep breath before continuing. "...the reason not a single girl has entered my room yet is because I'm a bit ashamed of it. I also have a nerdy side, and I'd really appreciate it if you didn't laugh at me when you see it." He says it so uncertainly that I know I have to reassure him, but I don't know how.

He opens the door and I step inside. At first sight I don't see anything special, a typical boy's room. His rugby shirt is framed on the wall and his walls are dark gray.

Then I see it. In the corner of his room, in front of the window, is a telescope. I run over to it and look at it admiringly. Then I turn around and see that Stan is still standing in the doorway. I grab his hand and pull him in. I kick the door with the back of my foot.

He looks at me searchingly and I know he's looking for some mockery on my face. There isn't, because I think it's really cool.

I bend over and kiss him. He quickly grabbed my waist and kissed me back. Then he pulls back and smiles softly. "I don't think you mind." he says softly. Then he grabs my hand again and walks to the window.

He opens it and steps through. Then I crawl through and we are on the roof of the veranda. Above us is the starry sky and I understand what it means. He points to the blankets he's put there and I lie on them. I see that there is also picnic basket and smile. He was right this afternoon, I don't know how I've ever looked at another guy when I have this.

When he lays down next to me I curl up against him and lay my head on his chest. He inhales sharply, then wraps his arm around me. The other he uses to point out stars.