26. Italy

I wake up because someone is pulling on my arm.

"NO!"' I growl. The person takes a deep breath and then lifts me up. I sigh because I miss Stan's body heat and open my eyes.

Alec looks at me in frustration and drops me to the ground.

"AW!" I shout angrily. Unfortunately that was just a bit too loud, because Stan wakes up in a panic and looks around him wildly. I quickly get up and walk over to reassure him.

As soon as he sees me his shoulders relax. He pulls me into his arms and calms completely. Without letting go of him, I turn to Alec, who just looks awkward.

"What is it, Lec?" Lec has been my nickname for him since I was little. He runs a hand through his hair. "Mom and Dad here. They want to talk to you for a minute." he says warily. Why does he act like this?

"About what?" I ask suspiciously. He sighs and puts his hands in his pockets. "About what, Alec?" I ask louder now. 

"I won't tell you. But you're not going to like it." I frown and go downstairs. My parents are indeed waiting for me at the front door.

"What is going on?" I ask carefully. My mother hugs me. "Nora! I'm really sorry for you! How are you going to handle this? Skype? Or will they stay here?" she asks, looking at me inquiringly.

"What? What are you talking about?" I ask confused. Her eyes widen and she puts her hand over her mouth.

"You don't know yet? Poor baby!" she exclaims. I frown and look at them in surprise. "What? What is going on?" I ask anxiously.

"Nora, they're moving to Italy!" she says. My mouth falls open. "Are you sure? They didn't say anything about that!" I say. She nods and pulls me into a hug. I gently push her away.

"I'm going to ask them, okay? See you tonight then?" I ask before slamming the door. I quickly run upstairs to Stan. This can't be true, can it? They would have said something, right?

Just as I'm about to knock on the door, I hear Nell and Stan arguing. "You made Alec go away! And he's not coming back! Do you know why? You already know! Because you, with your stupid head, you wanted to keep it a secret until the last minute! Do you really think Nora doesn't notice? Sucker!" she screams. I hear the tears in her voice.

Alec is gone?

"So, apparently I'm the sucker here." I say, leaning against the door frame. Stan looks at me wide-eyed, but he sees that it's already too late.

"Que-" he begins.

"No, Stan. You weren't going to say it until the last minute, until you got to the airport. How could you keep this from me?" I shout, tears in my eyes.

His tears are already running down his cheeks. Nellie quietly walks out the door to let us argue. He tries to grab my hands, but I knock them away. I see how much that hurts him, but he deserves it.

"Queen, I wanted to tell you! The plan was made when we... broke up. Everything reminded me of you, of how I lost you. So I agreed. But now everything is different! I've tried everything, I've looked for an apartment of my own, for boarding school, everything! But it just won't work because I'm not eighteen yet. So..." His voice dies away.

"So what?" I ask in a scared voice.

What if he has to go to Italy? I've heard the girls there are super hot...

"So... I have to go to Italy. But just for a few months, in June I'll be eighteen and come back here. Then we can live together in an apartment, or here, in this house." he suggests.