68. Heartbeat

-Two weeks later

-Two weeks later

Today we have our first check up.

"I'm nervous," I whisper when we're in the car, driving to the hospital. He places his hand on my thigh and smiles a nervous smile. "Me too. But I'm sure everything is normal," he comforts me.

I nod. "Yeah, but still," I shrug. "It'll be okay, I promise," he whispers. "You can't know that!" I say and he shrugs. "I'm a doctor, I know things," he smirks.

We get in and a lady brings us to the room. I take a deep breath in and take Stan's hand in mine. He gives me a kiss and we walk in.

A lady smiles at us. "Hello! I'm doctor Reyder, call me Sophie. Let's get you started, okay?" she asks and I nod, lying down on the chair. Stan takes my jacket and walks to the coat rack.

Just then, Sophie places something cold on my belly and we hear some... noise. The baby's heartbeat. But it doesn't sound like it has to be. It's way faster and... uneven.

Stan gasps and he practically runs back to me. "What's wrong with the heartbeat? What's wrong with the heartbeat?" he almost yells, taking my hand back in mine and slightly squeezing it.

See, it's not normal. It's not okay.

My mind goes ever all the options I can think off for a baby with a bad heartbeat.

Handicap.

Wheelchair.

Death.

I look up at Stan, feeling tears in the corners of my eyes. He wipes them away, giving me a soothing kiss. "I'm sure it's nothing bad. We'll fix this, I promise you," he whispers.

Frowning, I think about his promise. He can't promise this, it's not on his call. It's my fault.

Is it because of all the ice cream?

Scared for the verdict, I look up at Sophie. I search for sad eyes, an apologetic smile or so, but that's not there.

But Sophie smiles. "There's nothing wrong with the heartbeats."

Stan's jaw drops, so does mine. "HEARTBEATS? It's twins?" he asks, on the edge of screaming. Sophie nods. "Yes. Two healthy heartbeats mean two healthy babies," she smiles.

I look at Stan, smiling. His head snaps to me and his eyes meet mine. They're watery. I smile, knowing they're happy tears. He starts sobbing softly. "Twins..." he whispers.

Sophie walks away. "I'll let you two alone for a minute," she smiles before walking out of the room. Stan hugs me, still sobbing softly. He always cries when it's about the baby.

"We're gonna have two babies," he sobs, smiling at me. My heart melts. "Yes, we are. Are you okay?" I ask, still hugging him. "The hell I am. I'm gonna have two babies! I hope they're as beautiful as their mom," he says, cupping my face in his hands.

I gasp. He's so fucking cute.

"Oh, come on. You knew that, right," he chuckles. He presses a soft kiss on my lips. Sophie comes back in. and smiles at us.

"Are you a little over the shock?" she asks, smiling at Stan. He smiles too and nods. "Yeah, but you should ask her. I'm just the father. I have no doing in this," he smiles. He sits down on the chair and takes his hand in mine.

Sophie raises an eyebrow. "Oh really? First child?" she asks and we nod, not understanding why that's important in this conversation. She laughs.

"Thought so. Listen, you're crucial in here. You have to take care of your... what? Wife? Probably wife. So, anyway, you have to take care of her, treat her like she's something precious," she explains.

Stan looks shocked. "Even more?" he gulps. His eyes meet mine and he shakes his head, smirking. "Guess I'm gonna baby you even more, Queen," he chuckles.

I roll my eyes. Then, I shift my gaze to Sophie and plead her with my eyes. She laughs again. "I guess I made a huge mistake. Sucks for you, Nora," she grins and stands up.

We stand up and walk out of the hospital, driving home. He doesn't even let me drive.

He hums a song and places his hand back on my thigh. My body heats and I smile up at him. He cocks an eyebrow. "Nah-uh. No doubt. I'm not letting you drive," he says.

I sigh. This is getting out of hand. "Stan, you don't have to be so overprotective. I'm fine. I can do everything! I can even go to work, because I'm bored as hell at home. And I'm still taking my classes. So, thank you, but be reasonable," I blurt out.

It wasn't the plan to blurt it all out in once, but I feel relieved he knows now. His eyes widen. "You feel like this about this?" he whispers and I slightly nod.

"Queen, I didn't mean to make you feel like that. I just don't want this to be uncomfortable for you. You think you can work?" he asks and I nod, sure I can.

He smiles. "Good. Because I don't endure it without you there for another day," he grins and I roll my eyes. Typical.

"So you wouldn't have said that if I just didn't blurt out all that?" I ask and he shakes his head. "Nope. Your health before my happiness."

I melt. "Okay. But where could I be safer than in a hospital with thousandths of doctors?" I giggle and he rolls his eyes. "Fine. But always let me know if you don't feel well, okay?" he reassures and I nod.

We're home and he lies down on the couch, taking his phone out of his pocket. I jump on top of him and he smiles, tucking me to his chest. I see he's calling Alec.

"Motherfucker! How long did you not see Nora and what do I have to do about it?" Alec asks as soon as he picks up the phone. Stan sighs deeply.

"Oh, man! Could you just not expose me like his? She's literally lying on top of me," he says, and I realize how wrong that sounds without seeing it.

"Too much information. But why are you calling then?" Alec asks and Stan grins.

"Well, uncle Lec, I'm calling to tell you you'll have two cousins when they pop out of Nora," he smirks. I gasp and slap his arm. Jerk.

"WHAT? Nell! Come here!" Alec yells and I hear a second person joining him. "What? What's happening? Is something wrong?" I hear her worried voice asks.

"Well, maybe for Nora in eight months, but IT'S FUCKING TWINS!" Alec shouts and Nellie gasps. "Really?" she aks through the phone.

"No, it's a prank," Stan rolls his eyes, but Alec hangs up. Stan laughs and gets a message.

Crazy Mf: Istg, if that was a actual prank

Me: Then what

Crazy Mf: No godfather 4 u

Crazy Mf: Nora is ok for godmother but u screwed up

Me: Atleast im the godfather of pranks

Crazy Mf: Fuck off

Me: Queen? Will do

Crazy Mf: DELETE DELETE

Me: Nah uh

Incoming call from Crazy Mf....

Stan grins and picks up. "So is it a prank or not?" Alec whines and Stan laughs. I take the phone out of his hand, causing a disapproving noise from Stan. I give him a kiss and he smiles again. Easy.

"It's not a prank and I do not want pop-jokes," I warn Alec and he just laughs. "Congrats, sis. May you rest in peace when labor day is coming," he grins and I hang up. Asshole.

Stan's just laughing and giving me kisses.

"I love you. All three of you."