23. Doubledate

"Take it easy." I grumble.

Alec glares at me. "I'm sorry I'm nervous. Like you never lose your head when you meet Stan." he growls. My eyes narrow. "Well, at least we're together. I can do that. Are you going to ask her tonight?"

He sighs and fiddles with his tie. Yeah, my brother, tight in suit! "I don't know, Nora. It's our first date." he moans. "But you like each other so much!" I'm sorry. He sends me another look.

"Help! I can't do this." he sighs. I get up and help him with his tie.

We have a date with Stan and Nell at the restaurant at seven. It's very chic, so we have to dress decently too. I'm wearing a beautiful blue dress.

"Do you or I drive?' I ask Alec as we step outside. "I'll drive, so I don't have to think about my nerves all the time." he sighs. I shrug. I'm not nervous, just curious how things are going between them and happy to see Stan again. We didn't see each other all day because we had to get Nell and Alec ready.

It's strange that I miss him, we haven't been separated for 12 hours. Maybe I should be less affectionate, though I can't. I like being with Stan because it's mutual too. I am now fully convinced of that again. No one can act in such a way that he cries so loud. Stan loves me as much as I love him.

"Drive more slowly, jeez! I'd like to arrive in one piece!" I yell as he squeezes the accelerator all the way down. I reach for that gripping thing that serves this purpose. "Take it easy. I know what I'm doing, you know." he says calmly, almost offended. I roll my eyes.

Tonight I'll ride with Stan anyway, no way I'm going through this hell again. I hope he calms down after the date.

"So, we're here." I hear Alec say. I open my eyes, I had narrowed them in fear. I get out quickly. "So how many speed tickets do you have?" I ask, gritting my teeth.

Inside the restaurant, Alec puts his hand on my lower back and we walk to our table. Stan and Nell are already there. I feel Alec tense up for a moment.

I sit next to Stan and Alec next to Nell, so we sit opposite each other. I smile at him encouragingly. Under the table Stan takes my hand and bends towards my ear. "I want attention too." he complains in a whiny tone. I turn to him and kiss him on the mouth.

Our food is served and it is delicious! I feast and Stan seems preoccupied with his food instead of asking for attention. Oh well, after the date he gets enough. I listen a little bit to Alec and Nell's conversation.

He looks uneasy. "Well... you know... what that person's favorite animal is... and... stuff?" he says stuttering. I giggle and he gives me an angry look. Nellie laughs at him too and he sighs.

His smile pops up on his face. She whispers something in his ear that I can't understand and he nods. Then they get up. "Stan, you'll pay, hm?" Nellie asks in her sweetest voice. I look at Stan, who is having a hard time. "Shit..." he mumbles. Alec comes to his rescue.

"Oh my god, he's great. He's handsome, sweet, funny..." she sighs. I wrinkle my nose. The words brother and handsome do not fit in one sentence. Except for the sentence "Nell's brother is super handsome" of course. "So, are you going to take your chance?" I ask curiously. She nods enthusiastically.

Before I know it, there's a red handprint on his face with the shape of my hand. Startled, he lets go of me, but picks himself up again. "Oh, jij hebt pit! Dat wordt leuk vannacht!" What does he not understand by "no"?

Then suddenly I can breathe again and I lie on the floor. I see Stan punch the unknown man. After that one blow he is already lying down and Stan comes to me worried. "Queen, are you okay? I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have left you alone. Do you need something?" He keeps sending concerned questions at me. I shake my head and he calms down slightly.

He gently puts me in his car. Then he quickly walks around the car and gets in. He pulls me onto his lap and I hide my face in his blazer. He strokes my hair and I calm down a bit. Still with tears in my eyes I lift my head and look at him.

He makes soothing noises as he rubs my cheek. I am calm in less than two minutes and look at him gratefully. 'Thank you.' I say softly. I cling to him, and with my head back on his chest, I look up at him. He looks down on me. "For what?" he frowns.

********

I crawl back into his lap. Not to comfort you anymore, but just because it's nice. "Did I mention that dress looks fucking good on you?" Stan asks sully in my ear. I shake my head and look at him giggling. His eyes twinkle.

I gently run my fingers through his hair. I know he loves that. His eyes tremble shut and he smiles.

"What are you thinking of?" Stan asks, his voice uncertain and a little restless. Apparently I had stopped petting his hair. "About... the past." I say thoughtfully. He swallows.

"I know, but that won't be terrible for once." he grins. I grin too. "Oh yes, because you have nice classes?" I ask stupidly. He shakes his head gruntingly and picks me up. Giggling, I let him do it and he carries me up the stairs, into his room.

All this really happened at school? And he just let it happen? What were they supposed to think of him? Why didn't he do anything about it?

A bang startles us. Quickly Stan walks to the door and looks into the hallway. He rolls his eyes and looks irritated. I stand next to him and my mouth falls open.

"Well, if we're not good matchmakers, I don't know what are." I grin. Stan looks at me in surprise. His eyes start to twinkle and he grins. "Maybe we should learn from them." he grins. I roll my eyes and jump right on him. He falters for a moment, but then falls backwards.

We lose ourselves in each other again and again and make love our way.