5. Big brother

I've been annoyed all week and there's only one reason. Stan. Why is he acting so stupid? One minute he's worried and the next he acts like I'm nobody special. I'm not either, but I just want him to act normal! He asked to be friends himself, so why doesn't he act like it? I'm really done with it.

It's lunchtime and as usual he and his club are sitting at our table. He stares at me and I wave at him with a sweet smile. He quickly looks away. I roll my eyes and motion for him to join me in the hallway. He follows and when we are in the hallway I cross my arms over my chest.

"Why are you acting so weird? If you don't want to be friends, just say so. I can't keep up with this! You can choose, or act normal, or war. What do you choose?" I ask straight at the man. His eyes widen and he seems to hesitate for a moment. "I... I can't act normal." he says weakly. My shoulders slump. "Then it's war. Tell your club they'll leave us alone. Bye!" I call. "Nor-"

"No, Stan! I do not want to know! You just have to fuck off."

See what I did there?

Then I walk away. I'm not going back to Nellie or Stan. I walk to the grandstand to sit alone for a while. There is hardly anyone there, so I sit in the top row. I start to sob. Why am I crying about Stan? He's such a big asshole and crying over him only enhances his image. Suddenly someone sits next to me. I quickly look up. I don't know what I'm going to do if it's Stan, but being friendly isn't among the options.

Fortunately it is not Stan but Max. He smiles sweetly at me. Actually, he's not wrong yet. Too bad he's always in Stan's shadow, so his handsomeness doesn't stand out.

'Hello Nora. What are you doing here? Do you have to be detained by Stan again?' he chuckles. I shake my head laughing.

"No, I actually came here to get my thoughts together. Stan really is such a jerk! I can do him..." Max cuts me off. 'Oh no, did he tuck you in his bed too? And he said that... nothing important.' he says concerned. I shake my head again.

'Ew, no! I would never sleep with him! Being friends with him was bad enough. And those times he kissed me are only in my nightmares. Ugh.' I shiver. Max smiles. "Maybe you won't blame me if I do this..." he says.

The next moment our lips are connected. And you know what? I'm going with it. I have always felt good with Max. At least he's really concerned about me.

He slowly frees himself from me. He smiles briefly. "Norie, would you like to be my girlfriend? Perhaps this is all too early, but if you will..." He looks at me uncertainly. I nod smiling.

"That's nice to know." he grins, before kissing me again. He kisses me slowly, lovingly. My stomach explodes with butterflies.

Suddenly I hear a loud bang. Startled, I look up. Downstairs Stan is staring at us. He stands there as if petrified and when Max sees him he stiffens too. "Shit." he mumbles. I look at him in surprise. Is he ashamed of me? He sees my questioning look and wants to say something as he jumps up and runs away. Then Stan runs past me, chasing Max. I'm running after it too, what else should I do?

"STAN! Leave my boyfriend alone!" I yell at him. I can't keep chasing him,  I'm getting out of breath. Stan freezes. In the meantime I have caught up with him and I am panting in front of him. Max is nowhere to be seen. Stan looks at me like he just saw a ghost.

"What did you just say?" he growls. I see anger in his eyes, but also incomprehension. "I told you to leave my boyfriend alone! What is your problem?" I snap. His shoulders slump. "You... Your boyfr..." He can't seem to get the word out. Why is he acting so weird?

"Are you going to tell me why you just chased Max away?" I ask rather rudely. I'm really done with his weird behavior. He sighs deeply and looks straight into my eyes. "I know how Max is. He just uses you and goes back to the other girl." I raise an eyebrow. "One recognizes another by oneself..." I mutter.

He growls dangerously and takes a step closer. "Listen, Nora. I know I am like that too. But I see you as a sister and not as prey. So listen to me for once and avoid him as much as possible.' My eyes narrow.

"Listen 'big brother', I don't need your advice. Maybe I shouldn't stay away from Max's, but away from yours. And that's what I'm going to do. You stay away from me, understand?" At those words, I turn and walk away.