43. Prize

He walks in our office with a smile.

"What's up?" I ask and he shrugs nonchalant. I roll my eyes. There clearly is something, but he wants to tease me. "Do you want me to guess?" I ask and he nods, grinning.

"You saved a life?" I ask and he shakes his head.

"You did something from your bucketlist?" No.

"You got a girlfriend?" He shakes his head, gazing to the wall.

"You ate a massive ice cream?" He chuckles, but shakes his head again.

"You got your pay check?" No again.

"You met a new friend?" Again no.

"Tell me!" I beg and he shakes his head again. "There's no fun in that." he chuckles. I think about all the things that could have happened. No, I already mentioned those. I guess I'll just start guessing impossible things.

"You saw Julia Roberts?" Nope.

"You made a quick stop at the moon?" He chuckles again. That's clearly a no.

"You won with the lottery?" No.

"You won a special prize?" I expect a no, but he smiles broadly and nods. "What?!" I yell. He nods again. Then he gives me the newspaper.

"Oh my god."

My eyes widen when I see the front page. Young doctor wins Nobel prize!

He grins. "It's not that special." he teases. "Hell yes it is! You won a NOBEL PRIZE!" I yell, jumping. He chuckles. "Yea, it's pretty exciting." he grins. "PRETTY EXCITING?! COME ON, SHOW YOUR FEELINGS!" I yell.

He seems to doubt. "You don't want me to show my feelings." he says, then walks away. What? What does he mean by that? Does he hate me? Is he just pretending to like me?

I swallow my tears and go on with my work. It doesn't matter. But it does. It really does. Because I love him, but he hates me. I really feel like he hates me. Then why did he apologize? He doesn't hate me. No. I don't think he hates me. What I do know, is that I'm going crazy because of him. All these doubts, all these doubts...

No. He doesn't hate me. That's not possible after yesterday. But what does he mean then? I shake my head and try to focus on my work.

*********

After an hour trying to concentrate and failing in it, I sigh and close the maps. I look up, to see Stan watching me, grinning. I frown questionably, but he shakes his head laughing. He walks to my desk and leans on it. He stares in my eyes.

"So, tell me. Do you still want me to show my feelings?" he asks and I nod. He can yell at me, so I know what's wrong. He inhales deeply and pinches the bridge of his nose.

Then, something I didn't expect happens.

"Ow, sorry to interrupt you! But... you won a Nobel prize!" Nell shouts enthusiastically. Stan sigh frustrated. "I know, Nell. It's no big deal." Then he walks over to her and whispers something in her ear. I hear the words 'prize' and 'planning', but that's it. Her eyes widen, she nods and then leaves. He closes the door.

"So. Are you really sure?" he asks again and I nod. I really wanna know now. "You're gonna be mad at me." he says, leaning on my desk again. I shrug. "No, I won't." I promise him.

He shakes his head and goes a few steps backwards. "No, I'm not going to show them. Why don't you take a day off and do something with Max?" he suggest, but his fake smile tells me something else.

"And what if Max and I broke up yesterday?" I ask, placing my head on my hand, looking up at him. He gasps, but then tries to cover it as a cough. "You... broke up?" he asks surprised. I nod and he shakes his head in disbelief. "But... you were marrying him next week?"