Day 222

Day 222

"Are you absolutely sure about this?" Alex asked from the doorway as I slid in my second earring and gave myself a final look over in the mirror. Tonight was my first date with Marcus.

He was taking me out to dinner at a casual restaurant, so I had opted for jeans and a cute shirt with a tribal print on it. I layered a cardigan over the shirt and was wearing brown flats on my feet.

"Yes I'm sure, Alex," I said, turning to glare at her. Ever since I'd told her about Marcus she'd been skeptical. But she didn't know him, so who was she to judge?

"I just don't want you to get hurt, Ar," she said softly, and I could tell that she meant it. Alex had good intentions, but I wasn't hurting myself. I ignored the pain I could feel in my heart at the very thought of Harry, and forced myself to instead think of Marcus.

I was intent on having fun tonight. It had been almost a month since Harry and I broke up. I had every right to move on. It would be good for me.

The doorbell let out a loud chiming sound and Alex swept out of the doorway before I could stop her. I sighed, deciding not to even try and just allowing her a moment to meet him. Maybe it would at least put her at ease because she would see what a great guy he was.

I heard light conversation but it sounded tense so I finished quickly and made my way into the hall.

"Hello Marcus," I beamed once the two had come in to view. Alex was standing with her arms crossed in front of him, a judgmental look on her face. I shot her warning glare which she shrugged away.

"Arden," he smiled, clearly relieved to see me instead of Alex. "You look beautiful."

"Thank you," I smiled.

"So shall we be going?"

I nodded, slipping my pea coat off the rack and over my shoulders. "Yeah, let's go. Be good, Alex."

She snarled lightly before stalking away without a word.

I gave Marcus an apologetic look and we quickly left the apartment.

"Sorry about her. She's a bit- protective," I said quickly, as soon as we were in the hallway.

"Oh, it's fine. Don't worry, I understand," he replied warmly, holding his arm out to me. I gladly took it as he led me down the stairs.

--------

"So you're really a model now?" Marcus asked me as he sipped his water. We had just been brought our meals and the dinner had been going fantastically. Marcus was so interesting, much more than I ever thought a lawyer would be.

I nodded, taking a bite of my potatoes. "Yup. I'm on a short term contract for now, but it'll more than likely be renewed as long as everything goes well."

"Well I can honestly never thought I'd be able to say I'd be going out to dinner with a model," he said, a cute smile on his face.

I laughed, my cheeks lit up in a blush. "Yeah, yeah, it's not that cool. It's not as glamorous as everyone thinks."

"Is that so?" he asked, sounding genuinely interested.

I shrugged. "I mean, it's just a lot more work than you would think, you know? To get just a couple good pictures can take hours. And some of the people you have to work with- well, they're a bit out there."

"I think I get it," he said, laughing. His laugh. It was so light and airy. Nothing like Harry's deep laugh.

No. No thinking about Harry.