Day 477

Day 477

"It's for you!" Alex called through the apartment. There had been a loud knock on the door, but I had simply buried my head under the blanket to block out whoever it could be.

Even with her call, I still remained completely covered in the blanket- just hoping that whoever it was would give up and go away.

But I wasn't in luck. The door swung open and two too perky voices flooded into the room.

"Arden! Wakey wakey!" Louis' voice cried shrilly.

"Come on, get up," Wendy said in a calmer, more soothing voice.

I didn't make any move to respond.

A large weight suddenly hit me, causing me to groan in pain.

"Get up!" Louis said, his voice much louder now that he was literally sitting on top of me.

"Get off, Louis!" I seethed, trying my hardest to push him onto the floor- but he was intent on staying where he was- which was currently crushing my lungs.

"Not until you get up," he said adamantly as he pulled the blanket off of my head.

I tried to shield my face from the bright lights, but it was useless because Louis pulled my arms back, pinning me to the bed.

"You're hurting me," I whined. Louis stuck his tongue out in a very mature move. "Fine," I dead-panned. "What do you fucking want?"

"Oi, language," Wendy scolded from where she was leaning against the wall.

My eyes traveled over to her, suddenly softening as I remembered our last encounter.

Her eyes seemed to flit away from mine, instead focusing on the ground.

"Louis, get off me," I said in a calmer, softer voice.

He studied my face, as if trying to see what I was planning on doing. Reluctantly, he finally got up, standing next to my bed.

I pushed the blanket all the way off and swung my legs over, standing up and walking slowly towards Wendy.

My arms crossed across my chest and I looked up at her. She didn't seem to want to meet my eyes, so I knew I was going to have to take the first step.

"I'm sorry," I said softly. "I'm sorry for being such a bitch and for shutting you out- I didn't mean to. I'm just really sorry." I could feel the words getting caught in my throat- but I pushed them out until she finally looked up at me, a small smile spreading over her mouth.

"It's okay," she answered, her voice barely above a whisper.

I shook my head. "It isn't. I'm sorry."

Her smile widened as she spread open her arms. I walked into them as she enveloped me in a hug. I didn't deserve a friend like Wendy, but I was damn glad that I had her.

"So do you want to talk about it?" she asked, her voice steadily growing stronger.

I was about to shake my head, when I caught myself. I wasn't going to shut them out. So instead, I nodded, turning and walking back over to the bed and sitting down.

I felt the bed dip as Louis sat next to me, and Wendy quickly followed, sitting on the floor in front of us.

"So what happened?" Wendy asked.

I shrugged. "I broke up with him."

"And why was that?" Louis asked in his serious voice. It was a rare side of Louis to see, but it was always a welcome site, especially during moments like this.

"Haven't you talked to Harry about it?"

Louis nodded, "Yes, but we want to hear what you have to say."

I sighed, looking over at him. "Well we had a little fight, and I guess everything just sort of kept eating away at me, and I didn't think it was working anymore."

"Do you think it'll ever work?" Wendy asked softly.

I shook my head.

"Why?" she pushed.

"The promise." The more the promise weighed on my mind, the more I hated it. I knew we had made it for a good reason, but that didn't mean I had to like it.

"Harry mentioned some promise, but he wouldn't really talk about," Louis stated thoughtfully. "What is it?"

"We promised that if we broke up again, it would be the final time. We didn't want to string each other along and we were sick of breaking up over and over."

A silence fell over the room as they processed what I had said.

"Well then maybe it's for the best." Wendy's voice was so quiet that it took me a minute to figure out what she had even said.

When I didn't respond, Louis jumped up to continue what his girlfriend had began. "I mean, if you guys thought that it needed to end, maybe it needed to end. There are tons of other guys out there, especially ones that are a lot better than Harry Styles." There was a small lilt in his voice, indicating that serious Louis was slowly melting away.

"And you guys can always be friends," Wendy added. "You didn't agree to never speak again, just to not date."

We all knew that was a lie, but nobody wanted to acknowledge it. Harry and I had always been all in or nothing at all. There was no in-between when it came to us.

And considering how angry he was when we broke up, it would be crazy to think we could ever be friends.

Plus it's not like it would help. If anything, being around Harry just seemed like too much unneeded pain.

I shook my head in response to Wendy after the long silence that had flooded over us.

"It wouldn't work."

And with my simple statement, they both fell silent again, not a single word of protest.