Day 499

Day 499

My life was starting to feel like a rollercoaster.

One day I was locked in my room crying, the next day I was laughing over drinks with the girls, completely happy with my decision, and the next day I was biting Alex's head off for being even remotely happy over her relationship with Zayn.

I knew it wasn't healthy, I knew it was awful. But what could I do?

I tried to block out the emotions. And every once in a while I was pretty successful at convincing myself that I was better off without him.

In the end, I didn't really know how to feel.

Of course I was upset about losing Harry, the boy who I had fallen so madly in love with. But on the other hand, I was doing what was right for me.

As I looked in my mirror, I decided that I was content with our break up. Not happy, but content.

"Arden!" Alex's voice called down the hallway. "The boys are here."

I took one final glance in the mirror before leaving and joining Alex and the other four familiar faces in the living room.

"Arden!" Niall squealed immediately, practically flying over to me. "I'm going to miss you so much," he said as he engulfed me in his arms.

I laughed, hugging him back. "I'll miss you too, Ni. You better call me."

"Of course! You'll always be my second favorite girl!"

I pulled away from him pouting.

"Aw, don't give me that look!"

I continued to pout at him until he finally started laughing. "Fine, you can be tied with Katy."

I grinned, pulling him back in for another hug. "You hold on tight to that girl, okay?"

"Aye, with a death grip," he answered.

I knew that Niall and Katy would be just fine. I'm sure she was worried about him going on tour- but Niall was a good guy. They were made for each other.

Niall and I let go as Louis quickly took his place.

"Hey Arden," he said quietly. I knew our last conversation was on his mind, but that wasn't how I wanted him to think of me. I wanted to be Arden. Just Arden. Not Arden the ex-girlfriend of Harry Styles.

"Louis," I smiled, opening my arms for a hug.

He stepped into them and gave me a tight squeeze.

Neither of us really knew what to say, so we just stood in our embrace for a moment.

"Have a nice time on tour," I said as we finally let go.

Louis gave me a weak smile but his eyes were lingering too much. He had something else on his mind.

"You could try talking to him," he finally said quietly.

I should have guessed that was where he was going.

"I'm sorry, Louis, but I think it's better this way. A clean break, you know?" I was amazed, but I actually half-believed those words. It didn't feel like I was spewing the constant lies anymore- it felt like I was genuinely moving on.

"I guess." He frowned at the floor. "So you're not even going to say goodbye to him?"

"No," I stated simply.

Louis gave me another quick hug before Liam appeared.

Louis scooted away, probably to go say goodbye to Alex, and Liam stepped into his place.

"Keep an eye on Jessie for me?" he asked, a smile glinting in his eye.

"Of course, Li." I had to stop myself from telling him to keep an eye on Harry for me, but it didn't burn quite as much when I choked the words back down my throat.

"We all love you, Arden. Thanks for always being there." His smile was sad. Genuine, but sad.

I just smiled in response and stepped in to hug him. "Have a great tour."

"Thanks," he answered, stepping to the side of me.

Finally, I turned to where Zayn and Alex were locked in an intense moment, their foreheads touching and their lips moving as they whispered to each other.

"I guess I'll have to wait my turn to say goodbye to Zayn," I joked, earning a laugh from the other three boys standing with me.

Zayn leaned in and gave Alex a lingering kiss before finally breaking away. Both of their eyes were clean of tears, but we were going to go to wish them farewell tomorrow, and that would be the true test for crying.

Zayn stepped away from Alex and approached me.

"Do I get a goodbye like that?" I smirked at him.

He chuckled, "Only if Alex says it's okay."

I laughed before leaning in and wrapping my arms around him. "Don't worry, I'll keep a close eye on her."

Zayn drew away, smiling at me. "Thanks Ar. Wouldn't want her getting into too much trouble."

"Well, I can't make any promises. You know how she can be."

"Oh do I ever," he responded and we both started laughing.

"So movie time!?" Niall asked loudly, drawing all our attention.

"Sorry mate, I have to go home to pack," Liam said. "And I highly doubt that any of you are packed yet," he added, raising his eyebrows accusingly towards the other boys.

"Oi! I'm all packed!" Niall defended loudly. I don't think anybody actually believed him, but nobody was going to challenge it.

"Same here," Zayn called.

Liam's eyes then fell on Louis whose eyes dropped to the floor. "Fine, I'll go pack," he sighed.

With one final goodbye, Liam and Louis left the apartment, leaving just Alex, Zayn, Niall, and I.

"So movie time?" Niall asked again.

"Movie time," I grinned, plopping down on the couch.