Broken Inside - Part 2

"So, you're the only one left?"

The maiden's body froze up completely at the words that lightly echoed through the large room where the Lady once was. The maid forced down a gulp and slowly turned around now seeing the Lady in her large dress which was basically the only outfit you ever saw her in, standing at the bottom of the stair case, bandages no longer wrapped around her body, her skin completely healed. "I asked you a question." The maid went to speak however no words left her throat as she watched the Lady slowly stalk towards her. She stepped back a bit but tripped over a empty wine bottle and that's when the maid noticed that Lady Dimitrescu had finished all the wine bottles that were once on the cart that was now thrown across the room and empty wine bottles scattered along the ground. The maid had fallen onto her rear and immediately began nodding her head, her whole body trembling with fear. "And my daughters?" The smaller woman looked up at her Lady before shaking her head, pain now clearly covering the lord's face for a short moment. "You brought me in here? Tended to me?" The maid again nodded her head and shifted back a bit on the ground but not much as Lady Dimitrescu looked back to her after analyzing the room. "The man-thing, he has left?" The maid thought for a short moment and nodded her head, she didn't see or hear any signs of Ethan still being in the castle. A small huff escaped the Lady's lips before her claws suddenly came out and she slashed towards where the made was, "Leave!!" Luckily the maid had scurried away immediately when she saw the Lady's claws come out.

*****

The maid however never left the castle, instead she had scurried off back into the maiden chambers, a place none of the Dimitrescues went near as they never really needed to.

****

It had now been about a week when Lady Dimitrescu had noticed that the maid had never actually left the castle, she realised this when she ended up seeing said maid tending to normal chores and had left a bottle of wine at her chambers every night. Lady Dimitrescu had been so preoccupied with constant phone calls to the only lord she could really stand, Donna Beneviento, checking up to see if Ethan had gone into her house which he had, Donna received only mild wounds however Angie had been broken apart by Ethan which was nothing that Donna couldn't fix but to see her most prized doll her father made her be destroyed had emotionally scarred and hurt the poor woman. Lady Dimitrescu had yet again threatened to kill the maid if she didn't left whenever they were in the same room together however, after awhile...she just stopped. The pain she felt as she still mourned her dead daughters overwhelmed her and she shut herself in her chambers for the next few weeks.

Lady Dimitrescu had noticed the maid never once spoke to her nor said any words in general whenever she was within hearing distance which was pretty far. At night she would sometimes hear the maid having what was presumed to be nightmares that she only guessed they were because of how the maid uttered small words in total fear and agony. When the lord had shut herself away in her chambers for weeks on end, she had also noticed that the maid kept slipping notes under chamber's doors at random times of the day, usually when she was at her worst with her mourning. All the notes were different from small words to small stories till one night the maiden had slipped a few pages under the Dimitrescu's door. It told of a story...the maiden's story of how she became an orphan. She had watched her family burn in their house from a fire that had been started by the nearby villages because they deemed the family to be making deals with the devil and causing bad luck wherever they went. The maid had explained how the Dimitrescu family had taken her in without knowing they saved her life from being burnt at the stake by the villagers that realised she was still alive after she had left the village's orphanage. The maid had also written that the Dimitrescu family had never brought her harm not even the daughters, they had never really bothered the maiden, only once by Daniela who insisted they be apart of a hunt, that had brought small tears to Lady Dimitrescu's eyes when she remembered just how much her daughters loved to hunt even if it was the maids.

That was all the Ladyship needed before she had left her room immediately to seek out the maid who was currently walking down a hall after she tended to the daughter's crystalized remains that Lady Dimitrescu never even knew were still around. She thought Ethan had taken the crystals either has trophies or to sell off. Lady Dimitrescu rounded the corner and locked eyes on the maiden who was just about to enter the maid chambers before stalking towards her. The maid looked up and noticed this so she quickly hurried inside the room only for the door to swing right open and her ladyship to duck under the doorframe and enter. The maid had tripped over her own feet, falling to the ground however she turned over and backed herself up against one of the nearby small beds. She watched as Lady Dimitrescu now stood, blocking the doorway from any attempt at escaping. "You're still here, even after I threaten to end you where you are, when I take my frustration and pain out on you yet...you don't leave. Don't even attempt to, instead you insist on telling me your life's story and leaving letters under my door. You're still here, cleaning the place as if we're to have guests coming, as if my daughters had just finished a hunt. You're. Still. Here...why?" Unfortunately no words could form from the maiden's throat which made Lady Dimitrescu leave the chambers in anger, slamming the door shut behind her as she exiting.

*******

Finally the maid had spoken. She had entered Lady Dimitrescu's chamber's without permission as the lord was brushing her hair ready for bed. Before she could shout at the maid and tear her a new one, the maiden spoke which immediately silenced the lord.

"I refuse to leave...because I cannot. I cannot bear to see you in pain, I cannot bear to see this place fall apart after what the man did. I cannot and will not leave not because it is my job and my life debt to your family but because I never truly felt unsafe on your grounds. I know you're in extreme pain and I know what it feels like to have a man tear you apart by ripping you loved ones out of your life without a word. I know what it's like to want to scream and hide away forever, feeling like you failed your family, feeling as if it is your own fault for why they died. I just want you to know and you need to understand that I understand what you're going through and that I refuse to leave this castle, you'll have to kill me if you really insist on it."

Lady Dimitrescu was silent and stunned at the maid's words. It took a few moments of pure quietness apart from the sounds of the maid's heavy breathing before Lady Dimitrescu placed her brush down and stood up. She now made her way over to the maid who now shut her eyes tight expecting to be killed on the spot but what startled the maid is when her Ladyship got down onto her level and yanked her into her chest, long arms wrapping around the maid tightly before heavy sobs now filled the air as the maid grew stunned at what was happening. Her Lady held her right against her chest and sobbed into her shoulder. The maid slowly relaxed, moving her arms cautiously and slowly up and around the back of Lady Dimitrescu's neck, "It's alright my Lady. Let it all out. I'm here for you and I'm not going anywhere."

The two had stayed like that for what felt like hours before Lady Dimitrescu pulled away, "call me Alcina my dear." She stepped back yet not much as if she still wanted to keep the maiden close, "I-..." she sighed not able to form her own words correctly which was something nobody ever had really seen apart from maybe her daughters but never a maid. The maiden stepped a bit closer and looked up at her Ladyship, "what is it Alcina, you can talk to me." The taller woman let out a small sigh before glancing at her bed then the maid in front of her, "I-...I can't be alone right now. Please...do stay...even if its till I fall asleep. I-...I don't want to be left alone." Her voice was broken, her eyes threatening to spill tears and the maiden saw this so she quickly moved closer and took her Ladyship's hand in her own before nodding, "of course Alcina, whatever you request I'll do." Alcina nodded at that and moved away from the maid however the maiden did stay close, even turning around so her Lady could change clothing, a black night gown was her choice for tonight as it was the closest thing she could get. With that she moved over to her bed and got up, now watching the maiden begin to remove her own dress which made Alcina's eyes widen. Before she could protest the maid already took off her dress, fortunately she had been wearing boxer briefs and a tank top underneath. The maid did well on hiding that clothing under the dress luckily. Alcina sighed gently with relief and laid back as the maid climbed onto the bed and slowly laid down not sure how close or where to be. It took a few moments after Alcina got comfortable to notice the maid shifting about a bit awkwardly so she gently reached out, wrapping her hand around the maid's waist and pulling her closer however slowly incase the maiden wished to not be close though luckily for Alcina the maid moved with her and was now snuggled against her. The taller woman smiled gently and pulled the blanket up over the two, enough that both could be warm but low enough that the maiden didn't suffocate underneath it.

"Goodnight Alcina."