Dick x Reader

Requested by: jaeya13
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Great show tonight." I smiled at Dick, as usual the Flying Graysons was the most looked forward to performance of the night.

"You did great too!" Dick smiled at me as his parents walked past, smiling at us both.

"I almost fell again today." I said, knowing he was just being nice.

"No one noticed." he replied and I just rolled my eyes.

"Stop rolling your eyes." My mom scolded me from across the tent.

"I was not!" I defended myself.

"Let the children talk, come on." Dad led mom away so I wouldn't hear her nagging anymore.

"I'm on stage cleaning today, how about you?" Dick asked me.

"I have to clean the props." I said looking at the tall box of throwing knives, batons, rings, and juggling equipment.

"I can help." Dick offered.

"I'm good. You have a lot more things to clean anyway." I shrugged, knowing the stands would be filled with discarded popcorn, candy wrappers, drinks, straws, ticket stubs, and etc. "I'll help you when you're done." I said and he smiled, and agreed to my help.

I left from a side entrance to go pick up the cleaning supplies from the staff cabins. A few customers/visitors were still hanging around to either buy souvenirs or to buy a last minute snack or drink before we close up.

I overheard some people talk, and it was always the same, it was always about the animals, the fire acts, or the Flying Graysons. "What about that opening performance?" I paused hearing that question. My family and I were the opening today.

"They weren't bad, but nothing interesting to look at, probably because they were... you know.. (race)." I frowned hearing that. My parents told me to ignore comments like them, saying that they weren't worth our time to fight with or engage with.

"That's racist dumbass." I heard someone else say.

"What? It's statistics!" the other person said and their voice gradually faded away.

"Statistics my butt." I grumbled grabbing the cleaning supplies and heading back to the tent. I couldn't help but stare at my hand, the majority of the people here were white, since most of them were from Romania, and other parts of Europe. Only a few of us were darker, lighter, shorter, thicker and etc.

I had finally finished cleaning the props, and went outside to see Dick had come back from throwing away the trash. He was humming to some song as he started cleaning the stage area. I stood on the side, watching as he hummed and sometimes danced along to the song. My dad sometimes teased me for sticking close to Dick, sometimes asking things like, "When is the wedding?" or "Can I expect to be a grandpa soon?" My mom would then scold him but then tease me as well by saying, "I can't wait to see you in a dress." I don't even want to wear a dress.

Dick and I were the youngest in the circus, so we were always hanging out with each other. Our parents were also friends, and we sometime went out to eat together. "(Y/n)?" I looked at Dick who was staring at me. "Something wrong? You're frowning like an old lady." he smiled poking the frown on my forehead.

"It's nothing.." I mumbled and grabbed a trash bag and broom to start cleaning. We continued cleaning together in a comfortable silence as we worked on our own areas. 

"I um..." I looked up to Dick as he started talking.

"What?" I asked, not knowing what he wanted to talk about.