Dick x Reader

Requested by: Smrilie
WARNING: ANGST (cheating)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another article, and another day where Dick is all over the news with a new rich girl he met at a party or a random club in the city. My eyes drifted over to the ring I had around my neck. Dick gave it to me, it wasn't an engagement ring or anything like that, we're not ready for marriage, and we don't really want to... at least I don't. The ring was a promise ring, promising to be there no matter what as friends or as lovers. 

"Another one?" I turned seeing it was my co worker. "That's like the fifth one this month. I pity the person who ends up with him. ... But jealous at the same time." she shrugged.

"I know right.." I smiled turning off my phone. I put the ring back under my shirt and continued work.

I work in a library, so nothing really eventful ever happens. I have the simple job of checking out books and putting them back when people return them. I've known Dick since we were in middle school, and I know he doesn't have the best dating record but despite that all his exes are still on friendly terms and friends with him to this day. ".. Okay thats a bit weird.." I mumbled to myself.

"What is?" I looked up seeing it was Dick, in a hoodie, and shades. 

"Nothing, did you need help looking for a book?" I asked, smiling.

"Yeah, this right here." He shoed me a blank slip of paper.

"Ah yes. Let me see if we have a copy.." I typed some things then deleted it on my computer. "I'll show you the way." I stood up, and my coworker took over my seat at the front in case someone else comes in.

I led Dick to the farthest part of the library, the section with all the old newspapers and magazines. "Did you see the article?" Dick asked me.

"Who hasn't seen the article?" I asked him.

"Good point." he sighed. "I'm sorry, I know this keeps happening. There is nothing I swear. There was a creep in the bar and I helped her out. That's all." he told me.

"You don't have to explain yourself every time you know." I told him.

"I don't want you getting the wrong idea." he said, holding my hands tightly in his. 

"I trust you Dick, don't worry. I know you wouldn't lie to me." I smiled at him and he just pulled me into a tight hug.

~~~~~

My days went on as usual. It was my day off and I was shopping for a birthday gift for Dick when I recognized one of the girls in the store. "He was so hot, and so kind too!" She seemed to be on the phone.

"Guess she found a boyfriend?" I thought, not paying attention and continued looking at the assortment of watches, suits, wallets, etc.

"I know right! The hottest bachelor in Gotham and we hooked up!!" She was very excited.

"Good for her." I thought, she was talking pretty loud so it was hard not to overhear. "This is a nice fabric." I thought feeling the soft fabric on the shirt.

"I mean he said he had a girlfriend but who cares? If he cheated on her he must not love her that much, right? I have a chance then!" she walked past me.

"Well that dude's in for it..." I thought.

"So what if he cheats on me too? It's freaking Dick fine ass Grayson!" she said and I froze.

"What.. whose name did she just say.." I thought looking at her to see she had already left the store. 

~~~~~