( 𝟎𝟓𝟒 ) the isolation block

— DEATH

— DEATH. THAT'S HOW ZOE FELT, stuck in the isolation block, sick people all around her, people dying; it was hell. The second she woke up in the morning, she knew that she had the sickness, and it broke her heart that she couldn't stay with Nate like she usually did — with the boy off on a run, she couldn't see him at all, and that thought alone made her want to cry. She had Glenn by her side, since he was sick too, along with Sasha, and Hershel had come to stay with everyone so he could look after them all, since there needed to be more than one doctor with the sick people, and since Zoe had first arrived at the isolation block, she had been helping Hershel with multiple people who had either began choking on their own blood, or just dying in general. It had been soul crushing, seeing so many people around her die in the most horrid ways, but she couldn't give up, not when she could be helping save people; even being sick, too, it didn't matter. So, whilst she, Glenn and Sasha were coughing their lungs out, they helped get air into Henry's lungs, holding him still as Hershel worked his magic, until the man could finally breathe again.

Every time they had to do this, Zoe's fears only grew that this would happen to her, and she would have Glenn and Sasha holding her down whilst Hershel opens up her airway; her difficulty in breathing was getting much worse, and she could just feel a coughing attack coming soon. Every time she looked at her palm after coughing in them, her heart dropped, the blood there every single time, more and more each time she coughed. "Drink some of that, all of you." Hershel instructed them all, when Henry had passed out. Glenn picked it up, handing it to the girls first for them to drink, "Some council meeting, huh?" The older man attempted to joke, knowing that half of their members weren't here. Zoe couldn't even laugh, having no energy to do so as she leaned against the wall behind her — they were all running on short time, they needed the medication as soon as possible, with more people dying every single minute, choking on their own blood. Sasha looked no better, the woman on the verge of passing out, so Hershel turned to Zoe, "Can you take over?" He asked.

"Yeah, sure." Zoe mumbled, grunting in pain as she sat up and crawled towards Henry's body, taking the ventilator in her hands and giving it a squeeze.

"Now, you squeeze it every five to six seconds. If you get tired, and you feel like you're going to pass out, you call someone to take over, okay?" Hershel asked her, noticing that she didn't look much better than Sasha, who was nearly half asleep behind the blonde girl. Zoe merely nodded as Hershel then left the room with Glenn, the girl squeezing her eyes shut and pulling them open again as she tried to stay awake. If she stopped pumping air into Henry's lungs, he would die, and she couldn't have that, she had to keep him alive, at least until the others came back with the medication they all needed.

Squeeze after squeeze, Zoe's eyes fluttered shut for a few seconds,  having been doing it for a while and growing tired. The coughing was becoming more frequent than before, and even more blood was coming out when she would cough, meaning only one thing, and that was she was getting worse. The girl barely noticed when Sasha had sat up again after having fallen asleep on the floor, Zoe knowing that she shouldn't wake her up since they all barely got any sleep — any sleep counts at the moment, and she knew that Sasha needed it. The woman already looked better when she crawled over to Zoe, "How long have I been out?" She asked.