( 𝟎𝟓𝟓 ) the attack on the prison

— ZOE HAD MADE IT THROUGH the night, even being able to breathe on her own after having received the medication the others had brought back, and Nate had sat by her side the whole time, watching her chest rise and fall slowly throughout the night,...

— ZOE HAD MADE IT THROUGH the night, even being able to breathe on her own after having received the medication the others had brought back, and Nate had sat by her side the whole time, watching her chest rise and fall slowly throughout the night, afraid that it would stop at any moment now. So, when Hershel had come back into the cell during the early hours of the morning and informed Nate that she could now breathe on her own, Nate couldn't be more happy, finally allowing himself to relax once the tube was out of the girls throat and she looked healthier. With a bowl of water and a cloth, he cleaned up the girls face, wiping off the dried blood that had stuck on her face after she had thrown up, and he didn't stop until she was looking spotless again, and he knew that when she finally wakes up, she will be a lot more comfortable than she was before. When Nate had first ran into the cell block and saw Zoe on the floor with a tube in her mouth, Sasha pushing air into her lungs, his heart had stopped, the thought about loosing the love of his life overwhelming him. He had never felt panic like that before, not like when The Governor had taken her and Glenn, or even when she had been shot before the farm — this panic was new.

Since Tyreese had informed him that Zoe's pulse had started up again, Nate had literally cried in relief, never having felt so glad that she survived. Now, within the next couple of hours, he hadn't left Zoe's side, even when Rick had come in to check on his daughter; he was afraid that if he looked away just for a second, she would stop breathing again, and he couldn't risk it, not for a second. He knew that Maggie was doing the same thing as he was, but with Glenn, the girl never leaving her fiancé's side, not for a second — Glenn had gone through the exact same thing as Zoe, at the exact same time, the boy having Hershel and Maggie helping whilst Zoe had himself, Sasha and Tyreese. Nate owed the two siblings everything for helping Zoe, the fact that Tyreese hadn't even hesitated to jump in with helping the girl, he knew that not everyone would do something like that, and he owed them.

Nate's eyes were slowly drifting shut after having stayed up all night, when Zoe finally opened her eyes, the girl weakly groaning as she did so, feeling like she had been thrown through a grinder and pulled out again. "Nate?" She asked, her voice incredibly hoarse due to the coughing and choking on her blood hours before. The last thing she had expected to happen yesterday, was collapsing and having her lungs give up, but here she was, bed ridden with Nate gripping her hand like she would disappear at any given time, his eyes puffy from crying all night.

Nate's head snapped up when he heard her voice, his heart jumping in excitement at the fact she had finally woken up, and because of that, he was now wide awake and smiling at the fact that she was okay; with the fact that he cleaned her up, she looked a lot better, she looked well. "You're awake." He stated, sighing in relief as he did so, he just couldn't believe that she looked so good after practically dying and coming back to life. He had been praying all night that she would wake up, the thoughts of the girl never getting better plaguing his mind and scaring the hell out of him — halfway through the night, Daryl had come to inform Nate that it was obvious Zoe would wake up; the girl was the strongest she had seen, and the girl wouldn't leave Nate alone if she had something to do with it. Daryl was right, Zoe would fight like hell to stay on the world because of Nate, Rick and Carl, and hell, even Daryl..