( 𝟎𝟓𝟕 ) lost without her

— FAMILY

— FAMILY. THAT WAS THE ONLY thing that mattered to Nate; if the people he cared about were hurt, or gone, then he was nothing, and that's how he felt right now, he felt empty, like nothing mattered anymore. Zoe wasn't here, he didn't even know if she was alive or dead, or where she was, and he hated it, he wished he had never left that damn prison without her, but because he had, he was with Daryl and Beth, alone, without a clue on where the rest of their family could possibly be. The man knew that Daryl was getting fed up of him not talking, or doing anything, but how could he? Ever since they had left the prison, Nate had been completely silent, unable to function properly without the knowledge of where Zoe was, where his whole life was — along with the rest of the prison, he didn't know where anyone was or if they were okay, and the worst part was that no one knew anything. Nate could tell that Daryl felt the fear and worry on everyone's whereabouts and if they were okay, he just wouldn't show it as he was trying to stay strong for his little brother.

It had taken them a while to get away from the walkers at the prison, running constantly and fighting off any walker that came near them; they were lucky they had managed to grab their weapons and things before getting out of there. The three of them were exhausted; hot and sweaty from the amount of running they had done, and Nate felt like he would collapse from the amount of energy he had used — it was late at night before the three of them were finally able to sit down by a fire and rest. As they all sat, Nate wouldn't even look in Daryl's direction, or Beth's, for that matter, since the sight of them just reminded him of Zoe and the home they used to have before it got ripped away from them. At this point, Nate had completely given up.. Without Zoe, he felt empty.. Useless.

"We should do something. We aren't the only survivors." Beth spoke up, for the first time since the three of them had first gotten away from the walkers in the prison. Nate felt numb at her words, unable to believe her words as he just didn't have it in him anymore. If Zoe was dead, he didn't know what he would do. "We can't be.. Rick, Michonne, they could be out there.. Zoe, Maggie and Glenn could've made it out of A block, they could've." She carried on, when Daryl gave her a look, not entirely believing her words, either. "You two are trackers, you can track. Come on!" Beth carried on, seeing that the two brothers were sat in complete silence, not answering her; she stood up, trying to get their attention, not wanting to give up that the rest of their family could be out there alive. "The sun will be up soon. If we head out now, we can..." She carried on, shaking her head in annoyance when not even Nate would stand up, "Fine, if you guys won't track, I will." She told them both, before grabbing her machete and rushing off into the dark woods on her own.

Nate couldn't help but roll his eyes at the girls behaviour and words — it was in the middle of the night, they barely had any of their supplies and they had no source of light; tracking was nearly impossible for them to do, and the two Dixon's knew that it was impossible. Even if people were out there from the prison, they couldn't do anything about it, it had been too long, now, and they had ran too far away from the prison. The younger Dixon looked towards Daryl with a knowing look, to which Daryl nodded his head at, instantly standing up and pushing his foot down on the fire to put it out; Nate picked up his things and followed after Beth, wanting to make sure that the girl didn't get herself killed by searching for people that aren't even there. He caught up to the blonde girl pretty quickly, again, not saying a single word as he walked besides her, ready to kill any walker that came close to them, as he heard Daryl approach from behind them, already beginning to track just to make Beth happy, because the two Dixon brothers knew for a fact, that it wasn't likely many people got out of that fight, not with how intense it had been and how many people were against them..