Red String Soul Mate

AN: Heyo haven't done one of these stories in a realllllly long time but I love soul mate AU's and this is inspired by one of my favorite supercorp fan arts of all time! I can't remember where I put the photos I have of it on my phone and I can't remember the creator (If you recognize the idea and know the creator please tag them mention their insta at so I can properly give them credit for the idea) (I am adding my own twists to the story)

(Also the phantom zone happens but it is for wayyyyy less time but she did age in the phantom zone)

3rd Person POV

Lena remembers very vividly the day her string first showed up. she was 4 years old and playing with her dolls while her mom watched tv. 

It startled her and made her yelp in surprise when she randomly saw a red string tied around her right ring finger in a beautiful knot. 

Lena was still smart even at that age so she didn't understand how the string ended up on her finger and despite her efforts to untie it and the string leading into the sky. It would not come off. 

Lena's mother was obviously concerned for her daughter when she saw tears in her frustrated child's eyes so she asked the small raven-haired child "What's wrong?"

Lena slowly explained to her mother the string but her mom only gave her a puzzled look as she said "Honey there is no string attached to your finger." 

The four-year-old started to protest that there was in fact a red string tied to her finger and somehow floating up to the ceiling but her mother waved her off and they continued on with their night. 

When Lena moved in with the Luthor's a year later after her mother's passing she didn't want to seem like a weirdo to her new family so she didn't mention the string to anyone till much later. 

At 13 years old when her brother Lex was home from college for spring break she brought it up. 

She was close enough with Lex that she knew he would never dismiss her as crazy or insane for seeing the string. 

Lex immediately pulled out his laptop and helped her do research on possibilities for what it could be. 

He never doubted her once during the research process. 

The conclusion they came to was undecided at best. 

There were about a thousand explanations for what was possibly happening to her ranging from she was mentally insane and seeing something to her soulmate was attached to the other end. 

Lena liked the latter the best out of all the explanations they found that night and slowly she started talking about the different things she felt through the string. 

Sometimes it would tug hard enough to cause her to trip, or other times she felt so hot that she might pass out. The weirdest was when she started bleeding randomly from her forehead. 

It was the middle of the night and by the time it was morning the only evidence was the light white scar that faded an hour later and the bloodstain on her pillow. 

Lena was slowly becoming more and more comfortable at home until everything changed...

Lex went insane when she was 17 and went on a murder and destruction rampage tearing apart Metropolis and nearly killing every member of the city.  

It made her doubt herself and the string maybe she was crazy just like her half-brother. Maybe she would just end up exactly like him. 

Everyone treated her like she was the one who did all the murdering and destruction not her brother.