Teaching AU

AN: Kara and Lena are high school teachers in different departments, Kara teaches English Literature and Lena teaches AP chemistry and physics, Lena is struggling with getting her student's attention and keeping it so she turns to her coworker who is known as everyone's favorite. 

AN Warning : I am sorry this was trash I am so fucking tired and I have spent so many days trying to make it better and I just can't find a way but I hope you enjoy it anyways, also I don't think I Said it but THANK YOU FOR 160k!! you are amazing and I love you all more then I can say

Kara's POV 

I am sitting at my desk reading through everyone's essays as they spend the last 15 minutes silently reading or sleeping quietly at their desk. I am playing quiet acoustic music in the background when I hear a knock on my door. 

I raise an eyebrow at the sight of one of National City High's science teachers. 

"Ms. Luthor, how can I help you?" 

"Oh I wanted to ask you a couple of questions but you have a class....?"  she seems confused by the state of my classroom and ends her sentence more as a question than a statement. 

"They have some personal time until lunch so I can talk to you for a bit." I stand and walk into the hallway with her so I don't disturb my student's reading. "How can I help you?" 

"Um- Why aren't you teaching?" I raise an eyebrow a bit offended by the question but she quickly adds "I am sorry that's not how I wanted that to come out. I am an AP teacher in the science department-"

"I know who you are. Get to your point" I say simply. 

"I asked all of my students who their favorite teacher was in an anonymous survey because none of them seem to enjoy my class. Do you know what the results were?" I shrug. I mean my sister is well-liked as the principal but doesn't count as a teacher. "Every single student said you. Even some of them who hadn't taken your class. And I checked with our administration you have a waiting list of a 100 students for all of your classes every year. What makes your class so good- okay I just realized that's a rude way to put it but what do you do that makes your class so popular?" 

I laugh a bit at the rant "I am flattered that so many think so highly of me, but I do think having a great subject like English helps. AP Chemistry and Physics is a tough topic to enjoy for anyone" 

"Hey I take offense at that science is amazing-" 

"I agree but it is often taught in ways that can be mind-numbing. I hated all of my college science classes because all the professor did was stand there an talk for 3 hours. My dad was a scientist, he had a Ph.D in physics and he would do cool experiments with me to show different topics." Lena seems to be mentally smacking herself because she was also only lecturing in her class. "Yes I talk in my classes but I make it interesting and relevant. And I have patience with them. I am unfortunately required to teach several boring books written by old white men but I give them options on how they can read. I have a deal with the local library and they give my class free audiobooks of all the boring books. I summarize certain chapters in class so they can skip those chapters. That's hard to do with science obviously because everything is important in its own right," 

"So you can't help me at all?" Lena says and at this point was just used to Kara being a bit rude without not really meaning to be. Which was very common trait in science teachers in Kara's experience. 

"Not necessarily true. The thing that most students of mine love the most is empathy." 

"Really?" 

"Yes," I glance at my watch and see the bell was about to ring so I tell her "I will show you what I mean follow me and please stay quiet" I walk in and see students waking the sleeping students who wanted to be woken aka everyone but Harley and Wanda who where sprawled asleep under a blanket on the bean bag chairs in the corner. "Alright, weekend check-in. Raise your hand if you have over 4 hours of work in your other classes?" The entire class raised their hands. I forgot it was midterms this week. "Alright get as much of the reading done as you feel up to but focus on your other classes. I will send out a detailed summary on what happens for those not able to finish. No spoilers I promise. Remember after this book we are unfortunately going into our mandatory Shakespere unit. " There was a collective groan "I don't like it any more than you do but it is part of our curriculum and I will find a good version of a live production once we finish and we can make it a class potluck." the bell rings and I finish by saying "Alright take care of yourselves and have a good weekend! Enjoy your lunch!" 

The class leaves as Lena asks "You just didn't give them homework?" 

"Yes. I want them to enjoy the content and many studies show that if students process their information under less stress they retain it better. If I don't pile on more stress to their workload they can handle not only their other work better but our in-class discussions better."

"And you allow students to sleep in your class?" 

"Harley is an insomniac who is exhausted by this point in the day so she only actually sleeps maybe once a month and Wanda works a night shift on Fridays through the weekend to help support her family. She barely gets sleep with homework and work. She is a brilliant kid though and wants to be the editor of a major newspaper when she is older."  I explain with a shrug "I let them sleep when they please when we have free time and because they have lunch after class they tell me if they want to be woken up or not." 

Lena nods and walks away with a mumbled thank you as she is deep in thought. 

I roll my eyes and return to my work. 

Lena's POV

My next class walks in and a hear nearly every one of them groan when they see pop quiz on the board. 

Once everyone is seated and pulled out their note-taking materials I say "I don't think you all were expecting to see pop quiz on the board when you have midterms around the corner, but I took a colleague's advice and I want you guys to tell me if this helps you guys study." They all look super confused. I turned my computer on and the Kahoot quiz I created pops up and the group starts cheering literally cheering with excitement. Kara is definitely onto something... "Alrighty and to incentivize you guys to do well, you will receive extra credit for every answer you get correct!" More cheers "You have ten minutes to study before we do the official quiz. Please ask me any questions you have on any topics." Immediately several hands shot up and I began reviewing the few questions my students had before we began the quizlet. 

We finish the quiz and my students had never been more excited for anything. 

It made me smile when I saw students explaining the correct answers to each other for better understanding. 

At the end of class right before the bell rings I see Kara standing in my doorway and I remember how she ended her class. 

"Alright how many of you have more than 6 hours of work this weekend?" They all shoot their hands up with a groan "Okay don't worry about the reading for the next week that is required" I can't believe I scheduled reading on top of an exam no wonder everyone hates my class. They all let out a relieved sigh "Also..." I remember a teacher did this for me and I appreciated it a lot and learned more because of it "You can all use a 3x5 notecard on the test to handwrite a test helper." 

The class erupts in cheers as the bell rings and the entire class leave or so I thought. I was about to turn and talk to Kara when a throat clears behind me. 

"Ms. Luthor I am sorry to bother you" 

"No worries Jane how can I help you?" Jane was a brilliant girl who wants to be a doctor from what I have overheard. 

"I know you let everyone take notes in class on their computers so I haven't had to talk to you about this but I have an accommodation with the school that lets me use my computer on anything..." 

"Okay go ahead..." I think for a second "and use your computer and just make sure it isn't bigger than a 3x5 notecard would be and please don't let the text be smaller than handwriting could be." 

"Thank you, Ms. Luthor," Jane says as she walks out of my class. 

"That seemed better," Kara says with a smile. 

"Really? Was I too nice?" 

"No such thing in a hard class like yours. Everyone was super happy and relieved about it when they walked away." 

"You got any more tips?" 

"Probably how about I treat you to some lunch or dinner this weekend and teach you all of my secrets" Kara says in a flirty tone. 

"Are you asking me out?" 

"Yes. Yes I am" 

AN: I am sorry this was trash I am so fucking tired