CHAPTER 36

When the time for the competition was up, the organiser opened the door to the competition area and invited Celsey in first before letting other contestants enter the passage.

This treatment was impossible to get simply because he had won first place in the previous two years. Another reason for the organiser to be especially good towards Celsey was that perfume blended by him got the highest sales last year and the organiser had a business relationship with Celsey's company. So it was natural to treat the genius who could make them a lot of money well.

The sense of smell of these participants' was very sensitive, hence a glass separated the competition area from the audience. If not, having too many people would affect the performance of the participants.

In fact, a competition such as this was not entertaining. Still, nearly a thousand spectators from all over the world had come as the audience, and almost each one of them had rich backgrounds.

Most of these contestants were well known in their own countries. However, whether the audience was here to support these contestants or was an extreme lover of perfume wanting to witness this year's youth championship, one thing which was common was that them being a fan of Celsey.

In the competition area, more than a dozen Trapezoid display stands were kept in a row. Each one contained 20 or 30 kinds of single-scented perfumes in small brown bottles. Every contestant could choose ten to fifteen fragrances among these. Then blended these different scents were on-site. After the blending was completed, the main judges would rate them first, and the top ten with the highest scores would be voted by a hundred audience members from all over the world, choosing the winner among those.

After announcing the start of the competition, the president of the International Fragrance Association announced the theme of this year's competition as "Dream". Contestants immediately walked to the brown glass bottles and opened the caps one by one to select the fragrance they needed.

What was the significance of such a game? This game was mainly created as there were countless so-called perfume geniuses constantly appearing all over the world, and people kept debating whether these geniuses were worthy of their titles. Therefore, they simply gathered all the youngsters with the title of genius's together and then limited the scents letting them create a perfume to a theme. Lastly, they compared them to each other to find out who deserves the title of a genius among these youngsters.

In those brown bottles, although the liquid of the fragrance was extracted from the same plant, the quality of each plant was not necessarily the same, this test was to check the contestants’ olfactory sensitivity and quotient, and the level of understanding of the raw materials.

After choosing, they could bring the fragrance they wanted to a countertop which had many utensils provided and start mixing. This was where the real talent of the contestant was actually tested. Not only would the order of mixing different scented liquids differ, but the ratio would also be different, and this made the final product diverse.

Some people took test tubes and droppers to confirm the ratio carefully, then carefully poured the liquid into the measuring cup according to their preferences, stirred gently with a stirring rod, and fanned the air with their hands to confirm the scent. If they believed that this was not the fragrance of their desire, they could restart the blending. In short, they could blend perfumes as many times they wanted within the prescribed time.

Because there were so many bottles and it took time to open them one by one, Meng Yang spent most of his time choosing perfumes with single fragrances. After choosing, he covered the table with the black cloth provided as the contestants' recipes should not be seen.