the one where she bribes the sheriff with lasagna

fifteen

🐺🐺🐺

Throughout her prolonged years on this planet, if there was something that was common to Elyna Benston, regardless where she lived, was that she always had her journal and a thick annotated file in her hand.

When people occasionally came to ask her about it, the Hybrid would subtly dodge the topic altogether.

It was a characteristic instinct for humans to blend themselves in the crowd and anyone different or otherwise would be immediately branded as an alien and therefore unworthy of being socially acceptable.

As it is, Elyna always liked to stay in the shadows, out of spotlight and she was also very reserved and didn’t have any friends.

On the top of it, she always looked bored in class or drew in class or studied files which had nothing to do with the curriculum and often had bloodied and barbaric polaroids.

Students would call her crazy, neurotic and strange girl and left her alone, which was also what she actually wanted. So it had always been a win-win situation for her.

Entering the Sheriff’s station, Elyna Benston pulled her earphones off and went straight to the Sheriff’s Office where she was sure Chief Deputy Sheriff Benston was there with the Sheriff.

“Good evening, Mr. Stilinski, brother.” She greeted the both the men as she entered the office with two big packets of homemade food.

“What are you doing here?!” Sheriff widened his eyes looking at the brunette which he had took to liking. “It’s around midnight!”

“If I don’t get you food, then how will you survive till the morning?” She pulled a chair to the desk and opened up the lunch boxes for the two men.

“It’s so dangerous for you to come out at night, Elyna!” Sheriff Stilinski ignored the delicious waft of lasagna kept in front of her. He glanced at the brother of the teenager, who kept smiling at the both of them.

“Chief Deputy Sheriff, how are you even allowing your sister to come out at night?”

Aldrich was surprised at the condescending tone of his boss. “Sir, you don’t know this little monster. She never listens to me, but it’s okay, I know she can handle herself.”

“I am super trained in self-defence. I can give a round-kick on the mugger’s face before he can even sneak up to me.” Elyna proudly, “Now don’t insult my cooking and have at it.”

The Sheriff smiled at the aroma of the food and immediately dug in, his Chief Deputy Sheriff following him.

After sometime, the Sheriff washed down his food with a thermos full of orange juice.

He leaned back on his chair, and looked at the young girl who was looking at her with a wide, expectant smile; exactly like his own son has when he’s about to want something from him.

“Okay,” he sighed, trying not to smile, “I know you want something. Tell me, what do you want to know?”

“Everything about the victims.”
Aldrich rolled his eyes and sipped from his bottle of pomegranate juice, which was actually blood. Elyna Benston always had a knack to make things go according to her way.

“We can’t share anything with a kid, okay?” Aldrich sighed, rubbing his temples.

Elyna almost growled at her brother. Here she was, almost reaching all the intel and he was just here, trying to put water on all her efforts. “You don’t have to say anything. Just point me to the place where you have the files and I will work with it.”

“You mean you will steal the files away and return it back with ‘Try a better hiding place’ note?” the Sheriff raised his eyebrows at the girl who stuck out a tongue at him.

“I don’t steal it,” the younger Benston corrected Noah, “I take it, print it out and return it. It isn’t at all illegal and really, you really have a very bad and predictable hiding places.”

She could say that the Sheriff was going to interrupt her and tell her that it was very illegal and she didn’t even give him the chance to speak.

“There always has to be a pattern, right?” the girl asked both the men, “but there’s hardly any pattern between Isaac’s dad, the garage mechanic, Greyson Brown and the pregnant lady and his husband. I have researched and found that they have nothing in common, except for the fact that they are connected to the school.”

The Sheriff looked at Elyna with his eyebrows raised.

“The garage mechanic, Greyson Brown and the husband are all ex- students, but the pregnant lady had no connection with the school.” The Hybrid pointed out. “She didn’t even belong from Beacon Hills, which made me think that she might have been hurt because she was at the wrong place and wrong time. This made me conclude that there is a 49 percent chance that the next victim would be someone from the ex-students.”

“We can’t do anything with a 49 percent chance, Muffin.” Aldrich said to his sister.

“And the school has been there since 1941. How can we know who is potentially in danger? And most of them don’t even stay in Beacon Hills anymore. How are we supposed to-”

“I think the murderer is killing only the people who lives in Beacon Hills. Mr. Lahey, the mechanic, Greyson Brown were all the permanent residents of Beacon Hills.” Elyna cut Noah off.

“And what about the husband and the wife? They live in a trailer.” Aldrich countered.

“Correct, but they do live in Beacon Hills. Maybe not officially registered and completely settled, but they still do.”

“Even if we think that the killer is after Beacon Hills resident, who were in the BHHS, it will be a huge number, Elyna.” The Sheriff said. “It’s impossible to conclude something this big by using only a small amount of data.”

“I don’t think that the killer is himself going around and killing these people.” Elyna said solemnly.

Aldrich glanced at her with surprise- only they had a hunch that the killer was using the Kanima to kill his victims but they weren’t supposed to say anything to anyone.

The Sheriff looked at the girl. “I had thought of the possibility but there is no footprints or fingerprints or any clues anywhere.”

“Someone hates these people so much that they are hiring professional killers.” Aldrich said.

He couldn’t let anyone know about the supernatural world, so he had to keep his act going on until him and Elyna could personally find the killer.

“We have to wait for the lady to wake up. She might have seen something that may be helpful for us.” Elyna mused and Aldrich nodded.

“Don’t you have school tomorrow, Elyna?” the Sheriff interrupted the brother and the sister.

“Sheriff-”

“Elyna, he is right.” Aldrich handed the girl the pile of empty lunch boxes.

“But-”

“No if, no buts, take your ass out of here.” He pulled the girl up from the seat and pushed her out of the office.

“Wait.” He fished his car keys and tossed it to the girl, who caught it with one hand easily.

“You are an ass.” She hissed at her brother lowly.

“You were going too close. Might as well tell him about the Kanima.” Aldrich hissed back.

Elyna handed him the car keys back, unnoticed by the Sheriff.

There were many things that Elyna couldn’t do; driving was one of them.

“I was trying to save people from being murdered. Your people, I might add.”

“Why don’t you go and try to stop the Kanima?”

“That is Scooby-Doo gang's job. Not mine.” She rolled her eyes with anger. In a beat she pulled out her cheerful smile and waved at the Sheriff over Aldrich’s shoulder.

“See you tomorrow, Sheriff!”

“Give a call when you reach home.” The Hybrid heard the older man yell after her just when Aldrich shut the door.