the one with the induction cooker

chapter ninety-four

Elyna Benston stood back, inspecting the art on the canvas with her scrutinizing eyes. She had worked on it for about two days and she was quite satisfied with it.
The girl in the painting looked happy, calm and in serene. Elyna loved the bright colours that dominated the painting, somehow lifting up her own mood just by seeing the painting. This is exactly what she had wanted to convey.

Elyna stepped forward to the canvas and applied a few last detailing strokes.

Elyna had been living in this small one bedroom apartment for the last two months now.

This apartment was really tiny. Her bed was pushed to the wall near the window. It wasn’t even a bed, it was just a mattress.
There was a old, worn out, ugly looking green sofa and a small television, in front of it that barely worked.
The carpet below the sofa looked like it was begging to Elyna for a wash but she couldn’t care enough. Then there was a small kitchen, which was filled with stacks of ramen and other ready-to-eat food packets and a small induction cooker.

She really had a very hard time to learn how to use it; the neighbour was this close on snapping on at her.
Elyna didn’t get it; how was it that she could hack into the heavily protected and secure systems all the time but couldn’t figure out how the hell an induction cooker worked.

And there was a small bathroom just beside the kitchen.
Elyna’s belongings- her most prized possession- her action figurines and autographs of the celebrities, her most favourite books (only the ones she had managed to bring it with her that day) where all dumped in a cardboard box. Her clothes were still in that suitcase that she had brought with her.

The whole apartment looked so depressing. The only thing that brightened up her apartment a bit, were the canvases of paintings that she had kept along the wall for them to dry.
This was a huge change from the way she was used to live before, but beggars can’t be choosers.

The Hybrid had a huge working experience throughout her long life. She had worked as a farmer, in a printing press, then as an assistant nurse during the world war 2 and then as a barista before working in the Soul Sound Records.
All of the times before, it was simply because the Benston siblings wanted to blend in with the community; she didn’t really work for money, she didn’t need it.

However now, after more than a century of her life, Elyna Benston was working solely for money.
She couldn’t certainly work at Soul Sound Records, so she had quit the job.

She now worked in the Beacon Hills Public Library as assistant librarian in training and then she sold her paintings to her clients.
When she decided to leave, she didn’t know where to go. At first she had thought of leaving the state all together, and she had almost booked a flight to Texas.