the one with the old acquaintance

seventy-two

With Deaton’s wrist watch and his dog collar chain resting heavily in her pocket, Elyna got off the car and waited for her brother to come out.

“These witches and warlocks' houses gives me the heebi-jeebies.” The Vampire shuddered as he looked at the worn down apartment building.

“I hate the whole race, all together. If there’s someone most hypocrite in the world, it’s the witches and warlocks.” Elyna mumbled as they walked up the flight of stairs to stand in front of Catherine Hogman Westover's apartment.

Unlike the Sanchez witch’s house, Catherine Hogman Westover’s apartment looked warm enough from the outside itself with two bushy, healthy potted plants.

Aldrich met Catherine Hogman when he transferred to Vatican City to the military academy in 1934. While Catherine was obviously unmarried and studying forensic science, Aldrich was studying criminology and had mutual friends.

At that time, Elyna went as Edna Benston and was a physically six year old child who lived in a boarding school near the military academy, with one of her father’s old friend as her and her brother’s guardian. Mentally she was thirty five.

Yeah, it was a difficult time for her; while she knew had to pretend like a child for the world, she wanted to be free as any other thirty five year old would.

Catherine was quite vocal about her witchery background from the beginning, saying that the magic was important in her family.
Magic skipped every third generation in their family so after she turned eighteen and she found out that she has magic, like her great grandfather, Catherine never stopped telling others about her magic. She helped people with petty protection spells or luck bringing talisman all through the school.

Elyna carefully studied Catherine as she spread open a map of Beacon Hills. It was hand drawn and old, with it’s edges yellowing with age.

Catherine was supposed to be more than eighty years old but she looked like she was in her mid thirties. She had used her magic to slow her and her wife's aging process, so that the two could live for a longer time.

“The locator spell is kind of slow, I must warn you. I thought you would want to find this person fast.” The witch said, lighting four candles, one in each corner of the map. Elyna could smell the apple pie being baked in the kitchen oven.

“Actually, we have some friends who are also trying to find him as we speak.” Elyna said, her fingers drumming on her lap. “They’re using slightly different method. I just wanted to get an accurate location, no matter how much time it took.”

Catherine hummed and asked for Deaton’s watch and dog collar chain, which Elyna gave him.

Placing the two objects in the middle of the map, Catherine closed her eyes and began chanting spells.
Slowly, the candle lights began to flicker, even though there was no wind, and then suddenly, all of them started burning ferociously.

Catharine spilled some holy water on the objects and then some mistletoe powder. “You were lucky to come today when you did. This was the last batch of mistletoe that I had and my wife is in Hungary right now, so I can’t even ask her to get more mistletoe powder.”

“Where do you get mistletoe powder from?” Aldrich asked.

“The kind I use is extremely rare, because in, uh, cases like this, in life or death situation, it can help locating people with extreme accuracy. It can only be found on the hills of Nepal."
Catherine took a dagger and nicked her finger only for a drop of her blood to fall on the map.

Elyna watched with anxiety as the mistletoe powder and the blood, magically started to rearrange and extend into a line, going along the map in a line until it stopped at a point.

Aldrich furrowed his eyebrows and leaned over the map. “That’s the BH National Bank.”

Elyna bolted up from the chair, her eyes wide. “Are you sure that he’s here? Like 1000 percent sure?” She asked the witch, who hummed and quickly rechecked the whole procedure.
“If this person has a strong attachment to these objects,” she tapped at the watch and the dog collar, “then this is exactly where he is supposed to be right now.”

“Is he alive?” Elyna’s hand pulled out her phone and she quickly dialled Scott.

“I can’t tell that.”

Elyna hissed in frustration and with a quick nod of thanks, she walked away from the table, leaving Aldrich explain the situation to Catherine.

Scott picked up the phone after a few rings.

Hello?” he sounded breathless and panicked and in hurry.

“Scott, Scott, Deaton’s supposed to be at the National Bank! The same place where they locked up Vernon and Cora.” Elyna quickly told the boy.

You sure? 'Cause I'm about to reach there but I need to be sure that he's in there."

"I'm sure, Scott."