the one with the calloused fingers

seventy-three

Vernon Boyd’s funeral midway in its progression. His parents were devastated, and Vernon’s close friends and most of his community blamed Derek Hale for his death. Of them, those who knew about the supernatural and that Boyd was one too, said that as his Alpha, it was Derek’s job to protect Vernon better; which he failed.

They were so angry that they didn’t want to allow Derek at his funeral, but when the Benstons intervened and Isaac told them how Vernon himself didn’t blame Derek even at his last moment, the Sanchezs were forced to back off with much reluctance.

Elyna and Stiles were alone outside the church. Stiles hated attending funerals- he had hated it since his mother died, every single one of those reminding him of her funeral.
Elyna had noticed the discomfort on Stiles’ face inside so she slipped themselves out of the church.

They both were waiting for the funeral to end, sitting inside the jeep. Elyna reached out and touched the gear stick of the jeep.
“It’s still warm.”

Stiles nodded absentmindedly, playing with the end of Elyna’s fishtail braid.

“Does it feel different?” she asked. “Than your dad’s car?”

“Hulkier,” he said. “Harder to control.… Do you want to try it?”

Elyna was still holding on to the gear stick. “I can’t even drive an automatic.”

“I—” he shrugged. “I could teach you?”

“Here?”

“Why not here? No one will notice. There’s no traffic.”
Elyna's eyebrows scrunched down, like she isn’t sure she’s allowed to try this. Stiles opened the car door. “Come on.”

He got out, and she climbed across to the driver’s side, rubbing her hands on her dress.

Stiles took his place in the passenger seat. “All right,” he said, sounding a bit like Coach, “the handbrake is on, so we’re not going anywhere.”

“Right.”

“Now, press down on the clutch. It’s the pedal on the—”
“I know, I’ve played Grand Turismo.”

“Fine. So, the clutch is always down when you start and when you change gears. Feel it out for a minute.”
She pumped the clutch harder than she needed to, but Stiles don’t correct her. Easy does it wasn’t in Elyna’s behavioural vocabulary.

“Now put your hand on the gear stick.”

Elyna grabbed it. Stiles laid his hand over hers and try to shake her wrist loose. “Relax. We’re just practising. The car is off, and the brake is on. We’re just seeing how it feels.…” he moved the gear stick back and forth. “This is neutral.” he pushed her hand over and then down. “And this is reverse.”