the one with the hero-complex

chapter ninety-three

Elyna Benston wasn't new to sneaking into her boyfriend’s room.

She started to do this when they were secretly dating; she would snuck into Stiles’ whenever he would want her to come.
Stiles said that he could sleep better with her beside him, so she would come after Noah was surely asleep.

Even now that their relationship is not secret anymore, Elyna had gotten a thrill in climbing that big tree and then wriggle through the first floor corridor window.

Tonight, she was feeling particularly very lonely and depressed. Her big mansion was totally empty without Aldrich. He filled the house with an environment of laughter and joy, with the constant blaring of the tv or him cooking something or the other for Elyna.

She knew that she would go crazy if she was in that house alone for a second more.

When Elyna stepped into Stiles’ room, he was not there.

She could hear the shower turned on, so she knew that he was in the shower. She made herself comfortable on his bed and glanced at the new addition to his room.

A white transparent board with pictures and articles stuck on them with lots of red strings and a few green strings attached to them. There were pictures of Malia Tate case; and the picture of the girl from when she had gone missing and the close-up pictures of the autopsy which showed the coyote bites.

“Els? What are you doing here?”

Stiles had come out of the bathroom wearing a blue t-shirt and brown checkered pants, which smelled like they had been freshly washed with the oh-so-familiar detergent. Elyna loved that detergent scent.
“Hi.” Elyna smiled a bit.

The Stilinski boy had a towel around his neck to pat his wet hair dry. He stared at his hand for a long time.

“You’re not dreaming.” Elyna said. “ You have dreams of me?”

Stiles looked up at her. “How did you know...?”

“You were counting off your fingers. You always have extra fingers in your dreams.” She moved towards the transparent board and pointed at one of the sticky notes. “What does this mean?”

When Stiles turned to look at the sticky note she was pointing at, the words scrambled together, giving him a headache. “Um, can you read that for me?”

Elyna looked at him incredulously for a moment before she read it. “When is a door, not a door?”

“When it’s ajar.”

“What does it has to do with Bardo?” Elyna asked.

“Its like a metaphor, you know, like the door to your mind is open when you are in bardo and you, uh, you gotta close it soon before something can enter.”

“And how are you gonna do that?”

Stiles scratched his hair. “I think solving the Malia Tate case-” he stopped short, looking at her suspiciously. “How did you know that I am in Bardo?”

Elyna wasn’t at the lunch with the pack when they had this meeting. She was with Mr. McFarlane, taking up the fashion studies pop quiz that she had missed. And Stiles actually didn’t want Elyna to know about Bardo and all; with the problems with Aldrich at her home, Stiles knew that she had a lot on her plate already.

“For starters, you were counting off your fingers to tell if this is a dream. If me being in your room was enough for you to question if it is a dream or a hallucination, then you have had a lot of instances like this where you have had dreams within dreams. Secondly, you couldn’t read the note."

“I could.” Stiles lied. “Its just, my head was hurting so I didn’t want to read.”

“You’re lying.” Elyna huffed and stepped away from him. “Just like you lied to me about your nightmares stopping and like you lied to me about the Pack meeting at lunch at school today.”

Stiles nervously licked his lips. “Y-you were retaking your fashion studies pop quiz.”

Elyna rolled her eyes. “And what happened after that? All the time we had our world history class or the time we had our PE? Or the time when you dropped me off at my home? I was busy even then?”

Stiles could see the hurt in her eyes and that pained him but his patience was growing thin too. “You don’t need to know every single bit of my life, you know. I do need some space in my life too.”

Elyna stopped short. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“That means that I am not obliged to tell you very miniscule thing that happens in my life. You can’t poke your nose in every single matters in my life. You can’t control my life.”

Control your life? When did I do that?”

“Every time!” Stiles shouted. “You are so controlling, Elyna and you don’t even want to realise that. You want everything and everyone to work and function exactly like the way you want them to.”

Elyna was getting angrier. “I don’t do that! I’m not controlling.”

“The hell you are! Hell, you even pushed me to go to my mom’s music store, in the pretence of getting some closure over her! I didn’t need that! You can't keep on fulfilling your wishes and dreams through me. You can't keep using me for your issues.
" And the best part is, that you are such a damn hypocrite, you know. You expect everyone to tell everything about them to you, and if someone wants to know about you,” Stiles chuckled bitterly, “you are this fast in changing the topic.” He snapped his finger in demonstration.

“Wh-what? Is this about your mom? Because I just wanted to you to be able to go to her favourite place without suffering from P.T.S.D!”
“Elyna! I don't have P.T.S.D from my mom's death! You would have known it if you ever stopped to ask me before you just paraded and did things. Did you once ask me what I wanted?” Stiles yelled. “Do you ever care about knowing what others want? You have this fucking hero-complex, you know and you need to fix everything and everyone around you, whether or not they want to be fixed at the first place!”

Elyna felt that she couldn’t breath. “Everything that I’ve done, is for you.” She whispered. "You can't be saying all these to me."

“No. Everything that you’ve done, is for yourself. Maybe some sort of redemption that you’ve been seeking or something, but it was for you, not for me. Otherwise I would have known things about you as extensively as you know things about me.” Stiles said.

“I’ve told everything about me to you!” Elyna clenched her fist. “ I’ve completely opened myself in front of you. What more do you want from me? Are you delusional in your head? What the fuck are you talking about? You are the first one who knows things about me. I told you about me, about what I am, about my life.”

Stiles ran his fingers through his hair. “Who are you fucking kidding? I know nothing about you. I don’t know who are you.”

“Are you kidding, Stiles? What don’t you know about me?” Elyna furrowed her eyebrows, feeling her heart plummet. She couldn’t believe Stiles was telling that she wasn’t open to him, when she had been most open to him. After Lydia of course, but that shouldn’t matter to him. He knows so much about her.

“Where should I even start? Your brother?” Stiles said testily. “You didn’t tell me what happened with him? Did you guys talk it out?”

And now it was Elyna’s turn to be quiet.

“You didn’t.” Stiles folded his arms in front of him. “And this is exactly why I didn’t want to tell you things. Like I said- you expect to be a part of everyone’s problems but you don’t want anyone to be part of yours.”

“But you are my priority, Stiles. I need to take care of.” Elyna began, but Stiles cut off.

“No, I’m not your priority. I shouldn’t be the number one in your list of priorities. Your brother should be. I...I’m just your boyfriend.”

Elyna gaped at him as if he had grown three heads. “Wow!” she scoffed. “Great. Right. This is exactly what I should expect you to define yourself as in my life. ‘Just your boyfriend.’ As if you don’t know anything. As if you don’t know what that Sanchez witch told us.”

Stiles closed his eyes in frustration. “Come on, Els, you know I don’t mean that.”

“How should I know that?” Elyna raised her voice. “I took you to her place so that she could answer every single question that you might have about us. About.. about this soulmate thing between us. We spent weeks talking about it, Stiles. Not hours, not days, but weeks.”

“Els, if you would just listen to me-”

“No, Stiles! I want you to listen to me! I wanted you to be a hundred percent sure that you knew what you were signing up for-”

No, I didn’t know what I was signing up for!” Stiles yelled, frustrations finally getting the best of him. “I didn’t know, okay?!”

The Hybrid stopped, her mouth gaped. She felt like her heart was plummeting down an endless cliff.

“I don’t even know who you are! All the time I thought that I knew who you were; they were all lies. This whole relationship is build on half truths and you hiding things from me.
"Hell, every single relationship that you’ve made is build on half truths and you hiding lies from us.”

He might as well have stabbed her through her heart.
“I don’t even know what your past is. I’ve been trying to know what was it that you were talking about that night in that freaky motel, but you always shut me out. You don’t let anyone get close to you because you’re afraid of some truth that you’ve been hiding.” Stiles took a big breath, but he wasn’t finished.