the one with the partner project- part 1

thirty-seven

🐺🐺🐺

Stiles Stilinski was absolutely done with this horrible school he had to study in. It was as if the administration had no sympathy for the students- otherwise how could his World History teacher give them a pop quiz to sit for just on the first day of the week; that too after the whole Police Station incident.

He looked up from his test paper to see Elyna come back to her seat, having being the first one in the class to turn in the paper.
Of course, she's the topper, he thought.

Elyna took her seat and silently pulled out her sketchbook with her colour pencils, working on her art. It was a majestic purple dragon that she had decided to draw this time and she was experimenting with her colour pencils.

Not long after, Stiles too finished his paper and bolted out of his seat to turn in his paper to the teacher. Elyna noticed Stiles send her a timid smile, which she returned.

That night, in the police station, something changed between them. Again. It felt like as if they had reached a certain understanding and now Elyna and Stiles were almost inseparable.

Stiles felt that he was kind of in gratitude for the way she had defended him and most importantly, his dad back in the police station from Matt. She was shot on her leg, yet when Matt had hit Noah unconscious, Elyna was just moments away from tearing his throat then and there; she just didn’t do it when she saw that Stiles would be in the crossfire between the Kanima, the werewolves and the Argents and rushed to save him first. Stiles felt horrible that he was yet to thank her for that.

Though she kept her eyes on her bright pink painted sheet, Elyna felt Stiles eyes on her. Stiles had expected himself to be repelled from the Hybrid, but he found himself to be even more enthralled by the girl.

He wanted to know everything about her for the Internet couldn’t answer his single question.

He wanted to know everything about her; even if it was not supernatural related. He wanted to know why she drew so much in class and why her drawings were so secret. He wanted to know about her patches covered jacket that she always wears and  that pale blue file that she is sometimes seen with and all the papers that she and Lydia read in a corner of the cafeteria or library, both the girls hunched over, whispering to each other.

Slowly, the other students too turned their papers in and about fifteen minutes at the end of the class, the teacher stood up and took her place in front of the big chalkboard.

“Okay, kids,” she clapped her hands to get the attention of the students, “as you know, we are supposed to do a project this year. It will cover about fifteen percent of your grade, so I will advise you to take it seriously.”

She picked up a stack of paper and placed one at each desk.
“The person beside you is your partner for the project. Each group has a different topic, which is mentioned in the page you’d just received.”

Stiles looked at Elyna beside him, who gulped a bit and looked back at him, a faint pink tint on her cheeks.

Stiles picked up the paper. It had the information about what they were expected do for their project and how would be they graded.
Once he’d read it, he slid the paper towards Elyna, who picked it and up and read quickly.

“Presentation?” the curves of her lips turned down in disgust. Presentation meant nerves, something that Elyna loved to avoid.

“That’s not too bad,” Stiles tried to reassure the girl, “at least we don’t have to dissect a lizard like last year’s biology.”

Elyna smiled. “I hated it the first time I had to do it.”

“When? I-I mean which year?”

Elyna thought for a moment. “I guess it was around the early twentieth century. Before that women weren’t even allowed to education.”

“No way!” Whiskey eyes widened up. “We’ve had dissection since that early?”

Elyna scoffed. “I think Aldrich did it first when he was in the final year of his high school. He is much older than me.” Elyna remembered how she darted out of the classroom to puke, the first time she dissected a lizard, but slowly over the centuries, she got insensitive to it.

“So, uh, should.. should we work at your house?”

“No!” Elyna defended quickly, gaining the attention of a few students. Stiles’ eyes widened at the loudness of her voice.

“Uh, uh, sorry, I mean, it’s not a good idea to come to my house.” Elyna stammers. “It’s a really long story, boring story, I wanna save your time from.”

Stiles blinked rapidly. “Uh, okay. I can ask my dad. I’m sure he won’t say no. He practically adores you.”

Elyna relaxed, smiling a bit. “Thanks.”
Stiles looked away, around the class, thinking about what to say next.