the one with the splintered bat

seventy-six

“Do you have the feeling that you are playing someone, but it’s actually them, playing you?”

The True Alpha looked at Elyna over his shoulder, as Stiles was driving all of them through the storm to the Beacon Hills Memorial Hospital. The hazel eyed girl raised her eyebrow at Scott, silently telling him to answer her question.

“It felt like Jennifer didn’t care that Derek knew.” Stiles spoke instead, his voice flat. “It was as if that’s exactly what she wanted. Like, like-”

“Everything is going according to her plan?” Elyna completed his sentence, Stiles nodding.

Scott didn’t say anything, confirming the other two that he was too, thinking of the same thing.

The three of them arrived at the hospital after Derek and Jennifer and hopped off the jeep, the rain pouring on them, making them soaking wet. Stiles immediately went to the back of the jeep and pulled out a chipped old baseball bat.

“What’s that for?” Scott raised his voice over the heavy rain and wild wind.

“Well, you two have claws, I have bat.” Stiles shrugged nonchalantly, making Elyna snort slightly at her boyfriend’s antics.

When they entered the hospital, it was a different story all together. It was a total chaos inside, with doctors, nurses, patients running everywhere.

“Mom, mom, mom.” Scott luckily got hold of her mother, who was wheeling away an old lady in her wheelchair, “What is happening here?”

“Scott, what are you doing here? The whole building’s evacuating!”

“We’re here for Cora.” The three teenagers tried to keep up with the hurrying nurse.

“Wait, all of you?” she looked at the group, who nodded simultaneously. “Why does Stiles has my bat?”

“Mom, please, you gotta trust me on this, you gotta get out of here.” Scott pleaded his mom, ignoring the woman’s questions for her son’s safety. The Hispanic woman handed the wheelchair to another nurse, who wheeled the old lady away. Melissa pulled her son and his friends to a corner.

“The building will be evacuated in thirty minutes. There are two more ambulances coming here for the final evacuation. One in ten minutes and the last one in twenty. Cora needs to be in one of those.”

“Right. We’ll get her.” Scott said as the three teenagers along with Derek and Jennifer piled into the elevator.

“They’re picking up patients from the basement garage!” Melissa yelled before the elevator door slide shut.

“You don’t have to keep on a leash, Derek. I’m going to help.” Jennifer looked down at the tight grip that Derek had on Jennifer’s upper arm.

“And that’s how the murderer turns into Mother Teresa.” Elyna couldn’t help but comment.