11- Cultural differences

God Is Dead?- Black Sabbath

"So you have 864:8, it's not really that hard, Neil," I said, pointing to his math homework

"So you have 864:8, it's not really that hard, Neil," I said, pointing to his math homework. "Where do you start?"

"I don't know!" He groaned. "Can't we do something else, like jam or something."

"If you do your homework first, we can jam later."

"Ugh, fine."

"Great, now, you start from the first number, which is...?"

"Eight."

"Good, now what's 8:8?"

"One?"

"Jupp, write one," he did as I said, and looked back at me expectantly. "Then we have to check that it's right, what's 1*8?"

"Eight?"

"Nice, write -8 under 864," he did, but not before sending me a strange look. "What's 8-8?"

"Zero?"

"Write that under -8. Then move 6 down after 0, what's 6:8?"

"Whoa, now that's too much, I have no clue."

I chuckled at him. "Right, so we move on to next number, 4, but first you have to write zero after one at the answer. And then we get 64 instead, write that under zero. What is 64:8?"

He got quiet for a while, before answering. "Eight?"

"Write it at the answer, and there you have it. 864:8=108."

"I didn't understand anything of what I just did."

I sighed. "That's it, I give up."

"Can we play now?" Neil asked eagerly like a child at Christmas.

"Yeah, I wanna do some writing," Blake said from behind me.

"Sure, I'd kill to play something right now."

We gathered in the band room, and we plugged in our shit.

"Anyone got any ideas, any melodies or whatever?" I asked, settling down on one of the amps so I didn't have to stand.

"I've been working on something, but I'm really not sure. It goes like this," Blake played us a riff, and that's how it all started.

We listened, changed it up a little, made a second guitars second voice, the guitar comp, the bass, the drums and eventually the lyrics.

When you hear people talking about their band and songwriting with them, you always hear them say that it just comes natural for them. The lyrics, the melody, the whole song just comes to them, and it takes just under an hour to write something amazing.

Well, breaking news: It's not always like that. And that's totally fine, and totally normal. Sometimes, you can gather a group of people, and you can write a song in under an hour. Everything just clicks. But that could change when you're writing your second, or third or one hundredths song, it doesn't necessarily have to stay that way.