35- Stitches

Good Riddance (Time of your life)- Green Day

Damon hadn't said a word to me. He had grabbed my hand and dragged me all the way back home. Now that the door had closed behind us, I couldn't think of a single thing to say.

I could see by the look on his face that I was going to have a hard time getting out of this one. That nothing could ever justify what he had witnessed, even though it didn't have to be justified. It was totally innocent.

"Damon-" I started, but he cut me off almost before I opened my mouth.

And his words were not what I expected.

"Not now Nora."

His voice broke.

He wasn't angry.

It was first now that I realize that he wasn't mad at me.

Something happened.

"Damon? Are you okay?" That was clearly all it took. In a matter of seconds, his arms were around my torso and his head was buried in the crock of my neck while he was sobbing.

Snot and tears stained my sweater, but I didn't care. All I cared about in that moment was Damon, and making sure he was okay.

It tore me apart to watch him cry, to watch him hurt like he was hurting. The pain of watching someone you love hurting is more painful than being the one hurting.

I had no idea what had happened, but I wished I could take his pain. I wished I could take the extra weight that seemed to land on his shoulders some time between when I left for work and now, and place it on my own shoulders instead.

I rubbed his back and kissed the side of his head. "It's okay Damon, it's okay."

"No, it's not," he started hiccuping. "H-he's dead, Nora. He's dead!"

He started crying harder.

My body froze and time moved in slow motion.

He's dead.

Who's he?

"Who Damon? Who's dead?"

"My father, my father is dead," he sobbed into me.

My whole body stiffened, and I was a bit unsure about what to feel.

A part of me was feeling terrible for the boy crying in my arms. He had just lost his second parent. He was an orphan now. I didn't quite understand his feelings towards his father. Sometimes it was like he despised him, while other times, it was like he idolizes him. He wanted him dead, I swear to god. But now he was devastated by the fact that he died.

Another part of me was a bit more selfish.

His father was my guardian. He had custody over me. What did that mean?