Chapter one: The story

When I was a child, before my younger brother, Marcos, was born, I would ask my mother why our family had fantastical powers. Why could we do strange things that nobody else could? My mother would always call over my father and they would both answer in the form of a story.

The story of our miracle.

Long ago, when your Abuelo was a younger man, he fell in love. The girl's name was Carmen. She was a kind and beautiful woman who helped all those in need. Your Abuelo and Abuela Carmen grew closer and closer with each passing day. Eventually, your Abuelo and Abuela got married and had your Tio Ario and your father. Unfortunately, soon after, the place where they lived became unsafe. No longer fit to live in. Bad people had invaded their home.

They decided to flee. They walked for days and days, rationing the few food that they had brought with them and battling harsh weather all the while taking care of your father when he was a baby. One day, the bad people had found them as they were travelling. They were trying to hurt your Abuelo because he worked for powerful people.

Your Abuelo was brave and fought them off and saved your father before they could take him. Unfortunately, he lost Abuela Carmen in the process...Just then, in this time when our family was most vulnerable, your Abuelo saw a glowing light coming from the forest. He followed the light and it led him to a beautiful glowing seedling in the ground. He felt drawn to it, then carefully unearthed it and took it with him on his journey to find a safe place.

Before long, he found it. Your father's hometown, Bolorona. Then, when his children came of age, they both inherited magical gifts from the seedling, which had grown into a beautiful golden flower. A miracle.

My mother told me that story many times. Before my gift ceremony, on most of ny birthdays and sometimes, even just to put me to bed. I still love that story and I tell it to Marcos as a bedtime story whenever he asks for it. Sometimes, my mother and father help me tell it to him.

Marcos is going to turn 5 in a month or so, meaning he will get his gift soon. He is incredibly excited to get a gift of his own and I was excited to tell the story to him before he does, just like how mi mama and mi papa did.

-----

A friend of mine just pointed out to me that I wrote "When I was little girl" literally right after I said this would be gender neutral, many apologies for that.

When I was first conceptualizing the book, I imagined the main character as a girl but then they evolved into a character that anybody could see themselves in. Again, sorry about that, I've fixed it now.

If you see any references to the main character's gender, comment it, I'll fix it when I can.

-Kolour