Chapter fifty seven: It suits you quite well

Camilo and I gave Mr. Valladares a confused look.

"Oh! Right!" Camilo said "Yeah, uh...We're kind of in a hurry right now, can we-"

"Nonsense!" Mr. Valladares said, before moving behind the two of us.

He placed a hand on each of our backs and started pushing us towards the back of the shop. He pushed me into a seat in front of one of the changing stalls and pushed Camilo into the changing stall in front of me.

"Change!" Senor Adan said as he pulled the curtain to cover Camilo "Then come out so that we can see how it looks on you!"

"Uh! Okay?" Camilo said, uncertainty in his voice.

I heard Camilo shuffling around in the changing room for a while, waiting for him to show us what the outfit looked like. After a while, there was no more shuffling.

"Uh...Do I really have to show you?" Camilo asked.

"Yes! If something doesn't fit correctly, I can make quick adjustments!" Senor Adan replied "Why? Is there something wrong?"

"No! Not at all, it's just..." Camilo answered "I'm not really sure how to like...Model this?"

"Just show us, Cami!" I said, cheerfully.

"Okay, okay!" Camilo said, finally moving the curtain out of the way.

Camilo walked out of the changing stall with his hands in his pockets. He was still holding his ruana, it probably felt wrong to not have it on him.

He was wearing a simple white collared button-up shirt and a red vest that had little chameleons stitched on it close to the neckline. His pants were a colour that reminded me of brown sugar. He also had a bright yellow scarf tied around his left wrist.

"Uh...What do you guys think?" Camilo asked, twirling so we could get a view from all angles.

"Perfect! I was worried that the vest might not fit well over the shirt but it looks great!" Mr. Valladares replied.

Camilo smiled sheepishly to himself, rubbing the back of his neck.

"You look really handsome, Cami," I said, complimenting him "But...What's that around your wrist?"

I pointed to the bright yellow scarf that I was pretty sure didn't belong on his wrist. Senor Adan noticed it too and started laughing really loudly. Camilo looked at him, looking sort of embarrassed.

"What? What did I do?" Camilo asked, quickly untying the scarf from his wrist.

"Camilo- That's supposed to-" Senor Adan said, between laughs and wheezes "That's supposed to be tied around your neck!"

"That uh...Makes a lot more sense..." Camilo said, his face and the tips of his ears getting noticeably redder.

"Here" I said, holding my hand out so he could give me the scarf.

He handed it to me hesitantly. I stood from the chair and moved my body towards him. He flinched and made a high squeak sound similar to Dolores' when I slid my right hand under his hair so I could wrap the scarf properly under his neck. He shut his eyes in embarrassment, he probably knew that I was too close to him to not have heard the squeak.

"Relax, Cami" I said "I won't bite."

"Mhm" Camilo replied, his eyes still shut.

He seemed very tense. I gently fastened the scarf around his neck. I took the two ends of it and tied a bow, nice and pretty. I tugged on it, which caused Camilo to open his eyes out of surprise.

"Not too tight or anything?" I asked, my hands still on the bow in case I needed to adjust it.

"N-Nope, I'm good" Camilo answered "This, uhm...This is fine."

I smiled at him and backed off. I had just realized that I had nearly backed him into the changing stall.

"You know...I could've done it myself" Camilo said, sitting on the chair that I was on before.

"You're clueless, I didn't trust that you would do it right" I replied, walking into the changing stall.

I closed the curtain and hung the clothes on the nail on the wall. I changed into the outfit that Mr. Valladares made. It really did look gorgeous, I had admired it when it was just a simple design on paper but seeing it in real life and on me was something else entirely. The patterns on the coat weren't too clear on the paper Senor Adan had showed me but I could see them clearly now. The design on the paper was also just in black and white, I had no idea that it would be so brightly coloured!

The patterns were mismatched on either side, some of the patterns were a bright tangerine colour while others were dark shades of brown. The simple black blouse and white pants really made the coat the main focus.

I looked at myself in the mirror provided in the changing room one last time before pulling the curtain away and walking out of the changing stall. Mr. Valladares smiled and clapped when I revealed myself.

"You look wonderful!" Senor Adan said, cheerfully "I don't know if you noticed but I tried to make your outfits compliment each other! The warm colours are part of it anyway."

I looked at Camilo, waiting for some snarky remark about how he looked better or something like that but nothing came. In fact, Camilo wasn't saying anything at all, just...staring at me. Mr. Valladares was right, I was dressed in warmer colours like Camilo and the rest of his side of the Madrigals.

"Speechless, Cami?" I asked, teasingly "Do I look that good?"

Camilo snapped out of whatever trance he was in and fixed his face, which had sort of been drooping in an odd way.

"You look really...Uh, nice. Cute?" Camilo said "No, sorry. That was weird."

I pressed my lips together, trying to hold in a laugh. He was so awkward with that compliment.

"Forget I said anything, what I meant was that the clothes really suit you!" Camilo said.

"Why, thank you, Camilo!" I exclaimed.

Camilo scanned the outfit up and down and eventually landed on one of the pant legs.

"What's that?" Camilo asked, pointing to my left leg.

I looked down to see what had caught his attention. Then I noticed that the pants were lined with small dragonflies on the side. I saw that it was on both sides of the pants. The dragonflies weren't on the sketch.

"Oh! I decided to make a crest for Y/n as well!" Senor Adan said "I read somewhere that dragonflies represent change. It's not as obvious as a chameleon but...I think it suits you quite well!"

I smiled brightly and Senor Adan.

"I love it!" I exclaimed.