Chapter one hundred and seven: Finally getting along

Emilio helped Ruben sit down, being very careful as to not hurt Ruben's wounds.

"Mi cielo (my sky/heaven), are you sure this is a good idea?" Emilio whispered as he took his seat right next to Ruben.

"If I'm the one who actually got hurt because of Hugo and I can be cool with him, the rest of you can too" Ruben replied "It'll be fine, Em. The worst it can be is awkward and I'm very good at not letting that happen."

Emilio gave his boyfriend a small smile before unpacking his lunch and beginning to eat as Hugo's friends made their way over to us. Hugo had stepped off of the elevated platform to greet his friends and probably to explain the situation too.

"Hugo, what's going on here?" I heard Rafael ask "Are you gonna officially ditch us for Camilo and his gang?"

"What?" Hugo said "No!"

"Then what's happening here?" Enzo asked, his nasally voice cutting through the conversation like a knife.

"They just offered us to sit with them!" Hugo explained "I'm trying to be nice to them and I think they're trying to do the same for us!"

"This has to be like...A trap or something, right?" Lydia asked, pulling herself closer to Rafael for comfort.

Hugo was already struggling to explain. I guess it was hard to explain why you would hate someone so passionately one day and then the next day, you're trying to be friends with them.

"Hey!" Enzo exclaimed, staring right at me "What the hell are you looking at?"

The others began staring at me as well.

"Are they eavesdropping?" Lydia whispered to Rafael "That's so tacky..."

"I didn't mean to" I said "It's just that...You guys aren't being very quiet..."

"Yeah, we can all hear you," Amelia said bitterly, her hostility bubbling up again.

"Then stop listening, you prick!" Lydia yelled.

"Don't talk to her like that!" Emilio retorted, uncharacteristically loud.

"Both of you, shut up!" Hugo yelled, everyone else quieting down.

Hugo's voice was kind of scary sometimes. Even people that were listening in from other tables had jumped a bit when he yelled. He could really command a room. Hugo sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose.

"They are trying to be nice to us, guys" Hugo said "You guys should try too. This feud thing has been stupid since it started. I mean, c'mon, what did they ever do to you?"

Hugo's friends stayed quiet.

"The offer to sit with us is still on the table if you want to," Ruben said, smiling softly at them.

I think maybe Ruben's kinder attitude had softened them up a bit. Hugo sat beside me and gestured for his friends to join him. Eventually, they moved towards the conjoined tables and hesitantly took their seats.

"There!" Ruben exclaimed "Was that so hard?"

"Do you think we're too dumb to know where to sit or something?" Rafael asked.

"No!" Camilo answered "It's just something that-"

"It was a joke, dumbass" Rafael said, a small smile on his lips "C'mon dude, I thought you were the funny one or something."

"Your delivery was a bit off, babe" Lydia said, elbowing him.

"Phhht-" Rafael sputtered "I guess so."

We all laughed a little at that. So far, it wasn't going too bad. Sure, we weren't talking much but at least they weren't fighting. Camilo, who was sitting on the other side of me, put his hand on my leg to stop it from bouncing and then gave me a soft smile. I smiled back at him to show him that I was okay and Camilo removed his hand to take another scoop of his food.

Then I realized that Hugo was staring at where Camilo's hand was. He looked almost hurt.

"Hey" Enzo said, snapping in front of Hugo "You okay?"

"What?" Hugo said, draggin his eyes off of me "Oh, yeah, I'm fine."

"You don't look fine" Rafael said "Actually, you look like you're about to hurl."

I saw Amelia try to hide her gag in the corner of my eye. Any mention of vomit made her stomach queasy.

"Do you need to go to the nurse?" Lydia asked.

It was nice to see that even if they sort of hated us, Hugo and his friends weren't all that different from us at all. They cared about each other just as much as we care about each other. I was just hoping that everyone else could also see the similarities.

"Maybe it was something you ate?" Emilio suggested.

Camilo swiftly grabbed the lunch box that Hugo was eating out of and handed it to Amelia.

"Smell," Camilo said, bluntly.

Amelia took a quick sniff of the food and shook her head. She pushed the lunchbox across the table and it stopped right in front of Hugo.

"Nothing's wrong with it," Amelia said, continuing to eat her food.

"There better not be, I have the same lunch" Rafael said, looking down at his own food.

"It's fine, Rafael, you can eat it" Hugo said "I'm fine."

"How can you tell if the food is okay or not from just smelling?" Lydia asked "Were you just checking if it was spoiled or something?"

"Amelia just has a crazy sense of smell" Camilo answered "Emilio says that it comes from working in a bakery for so long."

"That's..." Lydia began, "That's actually kinda cool."

Amelia perked up at the compliment.

"You think so?" Amelia asked, to which Lydia nodded "Well, I've always thought that your hair looked so cool! Is it natural?"

"Oh well, thank you!" Lydia said "And yeah, the red hair is natural, I got it from my dad."

"Yeah but the colour looks a lot better on you since your hair is super long!" Rafael exclaimed in response "I always thought that it looked like lava."

"If that's a compliment, thank you!" Lydia said "If not, you're a dead man."

"Compliment!" Rafael exclaimed before giving Lydia a small kiss on the cheek "Definitely a compliment."

"You rat!" Lydia said, rubbing her cheek "No public displays of affection at school!"

Everyone was laughing at the two of them. Even Hugo was letting himself chuckle in front of other people. I think we're finally getting along.

-----

I am so sorry for not updating this for about a month! My school follows a really bad curriculum so all of the important stuff is at the end and I had to cram for tests and stuff, I hope you all forgive me.

How many of you thought that this book had been discontinued? I'm sure it was many of you.

I know that this is just an author's note but just in case anyone wants to read this whole thing, my love life has gotten HECTIC.

Two dudes that I met a little over a month ago confessed their love to me last week on the same day-
The even worse part is that the two of them are best friends and have been best friends for a little over eight years...It's such a cliche because one of them is popular, extroverted, and very open about his opinions. But then the other is shy, introverted, and keeps to himself a lot.

I have no idea what to do! They're both so sweet in their own ways. The extroverted one, let's call him Kyle (Idk, basic name lol), compliments me a lot and likes giving me cute nicknames. The introverted one, let's name him Jean (Another basic name, btw it's not said like 'Gene' it's the french one lol), trusts me and tells me a lot about himself and remembers things about me that I didn't think were that important.

Ugh, if y'all have advice, feel free to comment...

-Kolour