Chapter one hundred and fifteen: Embrace

It was chaos. There was a lot of yelling, most of it were questions targeted at Camilo and Pepa screaming profanities. But some of the yelling came from Mirabel and Dolores, who were doing their best to calm the situation. 

Yelling wasn't the only noise filling the room. There were birds and animals rushing into the room to comfort Antonio, squawking and roaring as they did. 

Luisa was cutting some meat when Camilo broke the news and she had cut through her plate in shock. So now she was apologizing to Mirabel and her parents for breaking it.

Isabela had made flowers filled with pollen sprout from in between the tiles, making Casita very uncomfortable. The flowers bloomed quickly and the colourful pollen sprayed everywhere, falling over everyone and staining their clothes.

The assortment of animals as well as the amount of pollen everywhere caused Augustin's allergies to flare up. He began sneezing uncontrollably.

The worst reaction to this of all had to be Pepa's. She was screaming profanities and had stood up in shock and anger. Her yellow dress began blowing with the harsh winds that she was creating from her anger. Her hair was flying everywhere and she wasn't even trying to hold herself back.

The wind was so loud that it was almost deafening. Soon, the air started going around and around in a circle. 

'A tornado…' I thought in horror.

Plates were flying in the air, circling around the dinner table. People were screaming as they did their best not to get swept up into the tornado. I did my best to get out but I wasn't string enough to get out of the room.

"No, no! Mami, please!" Camilo yelled, trying his best to be heard over the winds. 

Thunder cracked, shocking everyone. 

"Ahh!" Marcos screamed.

"Tia Pepa!" Mirabel yelled.

"Senora-" I heard Adelia shout before the sound of wind drowned out her voice.

Luisa grabbed as many people as she could and ran into the main area.My best guess was that they were going to hide in their rooms.

"Mi vida, please! Calm down!" I heard Felix say.

"I ca- I can't!" Pepa yelled "It's too much! It's- It's beyond my control now, I can't-" 

"You can!" Felix encouraged "Pepa, please!"

"No! He's-" Pepa began "He can't be leaving! He's still- He's still my baby, he can't-" 

The winds stopped howling and the thunder stopped cracking. The entire storm slowed until all that was left was Pepa on her knees crying with a small rain cloud over her head. 

"He can't-" Pepa said in between sobs "He can't leave us!" 

I felt my face soften as I steadied myself. It wasn't my place to talk so I kept my distance from her and Felix. 

Camilo looked almost as broken as his mother. His chest was going up and down with every deep breath he took. Tears were welling up in his eyes and his bottom lip was trembling. He gulped as be made his way towards his mother.

I took that moment to get myself out of the dining room. It would only make it more awkward if I were to be there. 

I dashed out the door into the main area. I leaned my back against one of the pillars and sat down. Camilo's decision was a lot to think about. 

Unfortunately, I didn't have much time to process because I realized that I could hear the conversation taking place in the dining room.

"Mami?" Camilo said, his voice trembling "Mami, I'm sorry. I-I didn't mean to hurt you, I didn't-"

I could hear it in his voice that he was holding back tears. Pepa was still sobbing and sniffs interupted her sentences.

"Are you not happy here, Camilo?" Pepa asked, her voice trembling. 

“What?” Camilo asked “Wha- Mami, of course, I’m happy here.”

“Then why?” Pepa asked, sobbing.

“Mami, I…” Camilo began “I’m happy here. I really am. I love everyone in this familia and I don’t want to leave any of you. But…I’ve wanted to see what is beyond Encanto for so long…”

Pepa let out a shaky sigh. The sound of rain falling onto the dining room tiles ceased. My curiosity got the best of me and I peeked into the dining room. 

I saw Felix helping his wife get back on her feet. Pepa slowly made her way towards Camilo. They stared at each other for a while before Pepa leaned towards her son to hug him. I saw Camilo’s body tense up before he began hugging his mother back. 

“Just…” Pepa began, still embracing her son “Visit us, okay?”

Camilo began shapeshifting into different people. I heard him quietly sobbing into his mother’s dress. Even if he was shapeshifting into many different people, Pepa still kept him in her motherly embrace. 

-----

This chapter is short and sweet. Well, maybe not sweet. Depends on what kind of person you are lol.

-Kolour