Chapter sixty four: He's too powerful

While Camilo and I were dancing, I noticed that Emilio was one of the people that was sitting on a bean bag instead of dancing. He looked lonely. He was clutching his knees close to his chest and he was...watching something?

"Hey, Cami" I said "Let's take a break! I see Emilio over there!"

Camilo turned his head to look at where Emilio was.

"Sure!" Camilo said, grabbing my hand.

He pulled me over to where Emilio was.

"Hey, Emilio," I said cheerfully.

Emilio didn't answer. I wasn't even sure if he noticed that Camilo and I were there. Camilo flopped onto the bean bag next to Emilio.

"Oh my god, these are sooooo comfortable!" Camilo exclaimed.

Emilio sniffed and it caught both Camilo and I's attention.

"Emilio?" Camilo asked "Are you okay?"

Emilio didn't answer again. I sat on the bean bag next to him and tried to look in the direction that he was looking. What could make Emilio so tunnel visioned? I tracked where his eyes were pointed at and then I saw it.

Ruben dancing with Amelia.

My eyes widened at the sight. Now it made sense why Emilo was acting like this. Ruben had always been his weakness according to Amelia.

"Is it because they're dancing together?" I asked.

Emilio nodded before sniffing again. Camilo realized that it wasn't the time to butt in so he just rubbed Emilio's back to comfort him.

"Maybe it's not like that-" I managed to get out before getting interrupted.

"Of course it's like that!" Emilio yelled "Look at them!"

Emilio raised his left arm to gesture at the two of them dancing.

"They're perfect for each other!" Emilio yelled, his voice cracking a bit "I just wish that I had seen it before..."

"Emilio..." I said, softly.

"I knew that I would never have a chance with him but..." Emilio said "Why? Why did it have to be her?"

Emilio buried his face into his knees and began to sob. I looked at him sadly then glanced at Camilo, who was giving Emilio a sad look too.

"Why did it have to be her?" Emilio asked in between muffled sobs, the question not directed at anyone.

Then Marcos walked up to the three of us. He gave Emilio a sad look. The light in Marcos' chest was now gone. I guess he could turn it off.

"Why are you sad?" Marcos asked Emilio.

"Oh, Marcos" Emilio said, wiping his eyes "I-I'm sorry that I might be ruining the celebration. Congratulations!"

Emilio forced a smile. Marcos frowned at him.

"Why are you sad?" Marcos asked again.

"Marcos, don't-" I began.

"No, it's...It's okay..." Emilio said, interrupting me "It's just...There's this person that I..."

Marcos closed his eyes and the warm light from his chest began to glow again. He opened his eyes and looked at Emilio for a moment. The light disappeared again.

"It's that boy, isn't it?" Marcos asked, pointing at Ruben.

I heard Emilio's breath hitch. He swallowed and nodded before sinking his body deeper into the bean bag. Marcos nodded and started to make his way towards Ruben. I couldn't hear what they were saying but I saw Marcos tug on Ruben's shirt and point towards us. Ruben immediately began running towards the three of us, Marcos not far behind.