Chapter fifty eight: Fond memory

Camilo and I changed back into our normal clothes and Camilo finally paid for the clothes. Camilo walked in front of me so that he could open the door for me.

"Thank you, Cami," I said as I walked through the door.

"You're welcome!" Camilo replied, handing me my clothes, which were now in a bag.

Camilo opened up his free hand towards me, an offer to hold his hand. I took his hand in mine and we stayed like that as we walked through town on our way to Casita. I saw something colourful in the corner of my eye. Well, everything was pretty colourful in the Encanto.

"Hey, is that the 'Madrigal mural' that Antonio mentioned?" I asked, pointing to the wall of a shop.

"Oh, that?" Camilo asked "Yeah, that's the mural...It's kind of embarrassing to have been painted on a wall in such a busy part of town..."

I pulled him towards the mural. It was a colourful painting of the Madrigals. There was a cloud drawn above the Madrigals that read "Los Madrigals." All of the children were on the bottom row, Pepa, Bruno and Julieta were on the row above them and at the very top, there was an older woman that I didn't recognize.

The family was surrounded by drawings of flowers, birds and butterflies. There were also mountains drawn as a background, probably the mountains that surrounded the Encanto. I could tell who everyone was in the picture, except the old woman at the top.

Pepa had a happy expression on her face and a cloud with a sun behind it drawn right next to her. Julieta was painted as holding a platter of bread, the pocket of her apron filled with herbs. Dolores had her hand next to her ear and soundwaves to show that she was listening. Luisa was holding up a heavy weight with a big smile on her face. Mirabel had her hands on her hips confidently, Mirabel being Mirabel.

There were some differences that threw me off guard though.

"Camilo, why is Isabella wearing a pastel purple dress?" I asked, pointing to the painting of Isabella "I've just never seen her in that dress. Why didn't they just paint her in her usual colourful dress?"

"Oh! It's actually the same dress, just before she gave it a colourful makeover" Camilo explained "They should really update the mural..."

"Why does Senor Bruno look so...Scary?" I asked "Is that rude to ask?"

"Nah, he looks downright terrifying," Camilo said "That picture used to scare me so much when I was younger, I wouldn't even want to walk past it...And to answer your question, Tio Bruno used to not have the best reputation."

That made sense. Tio Bruno's gift is a little scary, the visions can be bad or good. I kind of understand why people would resent him for his gifts and his visions. People don't like it when you know more about them than they do.

"How long has this mural been up?" I asked.

"Since wayyy before I was born" Camilo answered "There used to be only four people, then they updated the mural as the family grew!"

"If this is a mural depicting the Madrigals" I began "Where are Senor Felix and Senor Augustin?"

"Oh, Tio Augustin and papa aren't on this because they don't have gifts" Camilo said "It's actually pretty unfair since they're just as much part of the family as everyone else!"

"I agree with you then" I said "They should definitely update the mural."

"The last time they updated it was when Antonio got his gift" Camilo explained "It was just a small adjustment, they painted Pico on his shoulder."

Camilo pointed to the toucan that was painted on Antonio's shoulder. I noticed the pose that Camilo was doing on the mural. It was that pose that he does all the time, with both his arms extended, one behind him and one in front of him. I laughed when I noticed.

"What's so funny?" Camilo asked.

"The pose that you're doing" I replied "Is that the only pose that you know how to do?"

Camilo's eyes widened and he turned away embarrassed.

"Hey, I don't only do that pose," Camilo said.

He then pulled his ruana over his face and leaned all on his bent right leg. He was doing the other pose that he was always doing, he was even doing it on the family tree above the dining table back at Casita. I laughed at Camilo, not in a mean way, it was just funny. He laughed along with me.

"I have another question" I said after I could regain my composure "Who is that woman up there, at the very top?"

I pointed to the older woman. She had dark hair with some grey streaks in it, her hair was tied into a low bun. She wore a reddish-pink dress and was holding a candle. Maybe it was the miracle candle that Dolores and Camilo mentioned to me before.

"That's mi abuela!" Camilo said "I want them to update the mural but I kinda hope that they keep Abuela up there."

I turned to look at him. Camilo was staring upwards at the painting of his grandmother, smiling softly, probably because of the fond memory of her. It made me happy to see him like that.

"C'mon, let's head back to Casita" I said "These bags are getting kinda heavy."

Camilo chuckled and gripped my hand tighter.

"Sure!" Camilo exclaimed, cheerfully before pulling me through town all the way to Casita.