Chapter thirty: I'm so sorry

I spent most of the rest of the day doing my best to try and open my eyes. Sometimes, I would try to move my hand or wiggle my fingers. Anything to signal that I was still there. That I was still alive.

A lot of time must've past of me trying to slowly wake up my body because soon I heard a hesitant knock on the door. I realized maybe a few days ago, I wasn't sure, it was hard to tell the time, that whenever I heard that hesitant knock, it meant that the person I couldn't quite recognize was coming to feed me. They always fed me some of Julieta's healing food.

"Hey Y/n!" the voice said, oddly cheery "I brought you your dinner! I even snagged an extra arepa for you."

I felt the corners of my lips curl slightly into a small smile. I think the person noticed.

"Are you smiling, y/n?" the person said before pausing "It's nice to see your smile again. You've looked so lifeless lately."

I couldn't give them a reply. Not like I would if I could, my mouth was incredibly dry. I haven't had much to drink since breakfast.

"You must be thirsty, I forgot to get you a glass of water for lunch" the person said, seeming to read my mind "Here..."

Then I felt a glass press against my lips. The person layed my head back and sat me up so it would be easier for me to drink. I did my best to help with my limited movements.

"I can tell that you're starting to be able to move now!" they said "I'm glad."

I finished up the last of my food and I heard the person set the plate down somewhere. But they didn't leave.

"Julieta said you would wake up soon!" they said, cheerfully.

I hoped that Julieta was right. I needed to wake up.

"But...She's said that a few days ago too..." the voice said, nervous laughter between their words.

'Days?' I thought 'I've been like this for days?

"I just...I'm scared that she's just saying that so I don't get lost again."

Lost? What did they mean lost? I kept racking my brain for an answer, I swear, I was so close to knowing who it was! My mind was just so foggy, it was on the tip of my tongue but not quite there yet! I needed more hints, I needed them to say something else that would make me remember.

'C'mon...' I thought 'Make me remember'

"I really need you to wake up" they said before sniffing.

They paused, as if waiting for me to wake up. I tried to, I really did. The best I could do was make a quiet, mumbled sound escape from my slightly parted lips.

"It's nice that you're trying to" they said "I can tell that you're trying. Thank you for that. Thank you for everything, really."

Then they laughed. The sound of their sweet, airy laugh was all the I could hear. The sound even drowned out the sound of my own beating heart. The gears in my head were finally turning, the laugh had triggered my mind to finally start working. I searched my brain, now much less foggy, for where I recognized this person from.

Suddenly, something happened that made my mind freeze up again. But it wasn't the bad kind that I hated. It was more a good feeling of shock. The person started holding my hand. The warmth felt familiar too, as if I had held this person's hand many times before.

That's when, finally, I knew who was talking to me. I knew who had been feeding me for however long I was in that state, who begged for me to wake up time and time again.

The shock from my realization sent a shudder through my back and I physically shook. I heard the person gasp as they realized that I was moving. In my state of realization, I suddenly felt the muscles on my face move, I couldn't stop them if I tried.

I opened my eyes and gasped.

"Camilo!" I exclaimed, sitting up.

I looked in front of me and realized that I was in the nursery. I looked to my left to see Camilo sitting on a stool next to the bed, his eyes blown wide and his cheeks stained with tears.

"Camilo, I-" I managed to get out before being interupted.

Then Camilo's arms were on my shoulders as he hugged my by my neck. I moved my arms to weakly wrap them around his waist. I heard him sob as he put his chin on my shoulder. He tried to hide it but it was too close to my ear for me not to notice it.

"Y/n, I'm so fucking- so sorry! I shouldn't have let her- I should've been there to-" Camilo apologized, before spitting out broken sentences "Your mother never should've let me plan the party- I was so- I'm-"

"Camilo stop" I said hoarsely, letting my arms fall to my sides.

He immedietly stopped. He sniffed and slowly helped me lay my back against the head frame. I smiled at him or at least tried to with the lack of strength in my muscles.

"I'm so sorry..." Camilo said, teary eyed "I should've been there, I shouldn't have let her come to the party, I should've stopped talking to her the minute I found out that she was doing things like this! I didn't know she would actually hurt someone! She could've killed you and it's all my fault I'm just so-"

Then someone harshly opened the door.