Chapter thirty five: Wonderfilled eyes

I had finally finished cleaning my room. Cleaning it was always a pain since it transformed at random whenever I was excited. Unfortunetly, I was excited for Camilo and I to hang out so the room was turning into other places the whole time and my wrist was hurting from having to gesture to the room to go back to normal.

Just as I put the broom in the corner of the room, Camilo busted through the door. I yelped and transformed into Dolores, then Pepa, then myself.

"Camilo! Knock!" I said.

He rolled his eyes and closed the door. Then I heard three knocks.

"Who is it?" I teased.

There was a silence and I couldn't see him but I could practically smell his playful frustration.

"It's me! You're bestest friend in the whole world!" he said, sarcasm laced in his voice.

I opened the door and smiled at him. He had a unimpressed expression on his face, which made me giggle. He chuckled along with me with that dumb smirk that I haven't seen in a while.

"Sooo..." he began, leaning his body forward towards mine "Where are we gonna hang out, y/n?"

I smiled brightly at him in response. He seemed to get the message.

"Ooh, so you do have something planned, huh?" he teased "Well, lead the way!"

I took hold of his hand and gently led him downstairs and out the door of Casita.

"Y/n! Camilo!" Adelita yelled when we were out the door "Where are you two off to?"

I was just about to reply when Felix put his hand on Adelita's shoulder and whispered something into her ear. A flashy grin appeared on her face and she was no longer suspicious of us.

"Oh, nevermind! Don't mind me!" she said "Go have fun!"

I wondered about what Felix told Adelita, I decided not to dwell on it. I continued leading Camilo until we reached the forest at the edge of town, the forrest that my family and I had to go through to get into the Encanto.

"Hey, where are we going?" Camilo asked.

I pointed to the forrest in front of us.

"What? There? No way. I've never left the Encanto!" Camilo exclaimed "I can't!"

"Yes, you can!" I encouraged, pulling at his arm.

I tried pulling him into the forrest but he just transformed into heavier people so he wouldn't budge.

"Ugh, you are infuriating!" I joked "What's the big deal anyway?"

"I told you! I've never left the Encanto! I have no idea what's out there!" he explained.

"Well, don't you wanna see?" I asked.

He was quiet for a moment, stroking his chin, deep in thought.

"I always wonder about the world out there but this town in a secluded paradise with everything we'd ever need! We don't need to ever leave!" he explained "Besides, before my Abuela died, she would tell us about the men that drove her and Abuelo out of their village..."

Now that I think about it, Camilo had no real idea about what the outside world was like. His only way of getting a idea was from the stories his Abuela told him about stories that took place over fifty years ago. No wonder he was afraid.

"Cami, I promise you, it's not like that in most places anymore" I assured him "Besides, we aren't going very far! I promise it'll be worth it."

He stared at the tightly knit trees and bushes in front of us then glanced at me. Camilo then swallowed hard and took a deep breath before nodding at me. I took his hand again and led him into the forrest, swatting away branches and vines.

"AY!" Camilo yelped, causing me to whip my head around to see if he was okay.

I watched him flail his arms around wildly and transform into me, Mrs. Pezmuerto, Augustin and then back to himself.

"What?! What happened?!" I yelled, trying to stop him from moving his arms so much.

"Uh- Um, nothing! It was just I felt something on my head and it was just a leaf..." Camilo said, picking the leaf off of his head and scratching the back of his neck with his free hand.

So he really wasn't lying when he said he had never left the Encanto. He was pretty jumpy, being in a new place and all.

"Why are we here anyway? Where are we going?" he asked, clutching my hand tighter "Are you going to kill me?"

"What?!" I asked, smiling "No, vera, es impresionante! (No, you'll see, it's impressive/awesome)"

"It better be if you're making me walk through this leafy hell for it!" Camilo said.

I laughed at his obvious nervousness. I enjoyed the warmth of his hand holding mine, it made me feel oddly comfortable.

Finally, I could see the end of the seemingly endless trees and bushes through the vines in front of me. I pushed away the vines and stepped to the side to let Camilo go through first. He looked scared at first but once he caught a glimpse of what was awaiting him, he stared at it in awe.

"Oh my god...What is this place?" Camilo asked, awestruck.

I smiled as he stepped through the vines. He was twirling around slowly, trying to seeand take in everything around him. I felt my heart beat faster and my knees fell weak when he turned his attention to me with those gorgeous, hazel, wonderfilled eyes.