Chapter one hundred and sixteen: Maybe tomorrow

After the tornado that Pepa had created had wrecked the dining room. Julieta was cooking, just a small snack to help calm down her husband's allergies. Most other people were helping others calm down or cleaning up a certain aspect of the dining room. Camilo and I were both put on the duty of discarding the broken plates and glasses.

I heard a plate drop to the ground and Camilo sucked air through his teeth. I turned to look at him only to see that he had cut his hand. He was bleeding a bit and I could tell from his expression that the wound stung.

"Oh god, I'll go get Senora Julieta-" I began to say before Camilo interrupted me.

"No, no! Don't do that, there's no need" Camilo said "She's busy, I'll patch it up myself."

I thought for a moment.

"Alright. If you're not gonna let your Tia help you, at least let me help" I said, getting up to find some compression bandages.

In the corner of my eye, I saw Camilo get up and sit on one of the chairs that wasn't damaged.

I made my way to Mirabel who was helping Miguel get Marcos and Antonio into bed. I giggled a bit at how Marcos and Antonio insisted that they still had enough energy to continue playing but it was obvious that they were super tired since neither had gotten a nap today.

"Hey Mirabel, sorry to interrupt" I said, tapping her shoulder "But do you have any compression bandages?"

"Huh?" Mirabel said, turning to face me "Compression bandages? Did you get hurt?"

"Oh, no. I'm fine" I responded "I need them for Camilo, he cut himself on a broken plate."

"Ooh, you're gonna bandage him up, huh?" Mirabel said with an eyebrow raised as she nudged me with her elbow.

I rolled my eyes with a smile.

"Haha, very funny" I said "But seriously, do you have any?"

"Well, we don't really need them since we have my mom but...I think we might have some in the kitchen" Mirabel said, stroking her chin "I'll go look!"

Before I could offer to do it myself, Mirabel had run off towards the kitchen. I sighed before looking around awkwardly for something to do as I waited for her.

"Y/n!" I heard Adelita shout "Could you carry that axe to me?"

I wondered why she would need an axe but I went to get it anyway. She had pointed as an axe kept on a shelf high enough to be out of reach from children. Unfortunately, I couldn't reach it either.

"Casita, could you please move the shelf a little lower?" I asked softly.

The house complies with my request and moved it downward. I lifted the heavy axe off of the shelf and handed it to Adelita.

"Uh, what's that for?" I asked.

"I need to cut these huge pollen flower things down" Adelita said taking the axe from me "They're tougher than they look."

She gestured for me to move back and I did. Adelita was a strong woman, not Luisa strong but strong enough to beat Miguel in an arm wrestling match. She took her first swing at the plant and it went right through.

"Okay! That works a lot better than the scissors did!" Adelita exclaimed "This axe is for cutting firewood, right?"

I nodded.

"That explains why it gets through them so easily" Adelita said as she took a swing at another of the plants.

Luckily, Miguel had gotten Marcos and Antonio to go to bed because I wouldn't want them anywhere near Adelita as she swung an axe around for the first time.

"Y/n!" Mirabel called "I found them!"

She made her way over to me and handed me the compression bandages.

"Oh, thank you, Mirabel!" I exclaimed.

"It's not too much but it should be good for a cut" Mirabel said before looking at Adelita "Uh...Good job! I think..."

"Thank you!" Adelita replied cheerfully.

I laughed a bit at their interaction before running back to the dining room. Camilo was still sitting there, holding his hand, when I came back.

"Took you long enough" Camilo said with a chuckle even if the wound looked like it hurt.

"How bad is it?" I asked, sitting on another undamaged chair close to his.

"It's not too bad..." Camilo replied as I took his left hand and placed it on the table so he didn't have to hold it up the whole time "Just stings a little."

"Hm..." I hummed in acknowledgement, examining the wound as best I could.

The cut wasn't too deep but it was large and definitely still bleeding. Not as much as before but the compression bandages were still needed here to stop it. The cut ran across his whole palm.

Carefully, I wiped some blood off from around the wound. Then I started wrapping the bandages around him, doing my best not to hurt him. Every now and then, he would suck air in through his teeth or wince a bit and I would softly apologize in response. Eventually, his left hand was wrapped nicely and his right hand didn't have any more blood on it.

"There" I said "All better."

Camilo examined the bandage on his hand before smiling at me. I really did love his smile. Even just seeing it made me feel fluffy inside.

"Where'd you learn to do that?" Camilo asked.

"My mother worked as a lifeguard back when she was a teenager so she taught me a few things about patching people up" I explained "It'll heal at breakfast tomorrow but that should stop it from bleeding onto your blanket tonight."

With his unharmed hand, Camilo took one of mine and lifted it to his lips. He pressed a small kiss onto the back of my palm.

"Thank you, Y/n" Camilo said, putting our hands down but still not letting them separate.

"No problem, Cami" I replied "C'mon, we've gotta get some sleep."

"What? It's only 9:30!" Camilo exclaimed.

"Yeah but we're done with the plates and glasses" I said "And we have school tomorrow."

"We have-" Camilo said before he processed it "Damn it, we've got school..."

I giggled before I lead him upstairs. He dropped me off at my room before making his way to his. Before he left, he gave me a soft peck on the lips.

"Goodnight, mi vida" Camilo said before he left.

"Goodnight, Cami" I replied before shutting my door.

As I laid in bed, I thought about what would happen at school tomorrow. If Camilo had already told his family about his plans to leave and there weren't any real objections to the idea then that means he had to have planned to leave soon, right? I told him that I would come with him and I intend to keep my promise but I didn't think I would have to so soon.

Maybe tomorrow would be my last day of school in Encanto.

-----

Can you tell the book is ending soon?

-Kolour