Chapter forty one: Sink

I made fun of Emilio for a little while longer but was interupted when the bell rung. Emilio and I packed up and we made our way to the cafeteria together after putting our sketchbooks in our lockers.

Once we made it to the entrance, Camilo and the rest of our friends were waving at us from across the room. We waved back and smiled. As we passed the many tables on our way to the elevated area where we usually ate our lunch, I noticed the other students whispering about me and abobut Marcos' birthday party.

"I can see the bandages" one person said, their voice very high pitched "Apperently, June stabbed them with a knife from the kitchen..."

"No! It was a bottle that she smashed and she stabbed them with the sharp end of it" another person corrected.

"I hope they're okay" the person with a high pitched voice said "June is insane, stay away from her."

While I was listening to them talk about me, I had fallen behind without realizing. Emilio was now more than a few steps away from me. Then, someone that I didn't recognize side stepped right in front of me.

He had silky, wavy hair that framed his face is a nice way, his hair was brown which was a nice contrast from his smooth tan skin. The top two buttons of his uniform were unbottoned, exposing his chest a little bit. He was wearing a subtle necklace with a tooth hanging from it, which made me question whether or not the tooth was really from an animal.

"Uh, hola" the boy started, his voice kind of nasally "You're Y/n, si?"

"Mhm" I answered briefly.

"Well, I know you don't know me but I just wanted to..." he continued "See if you were alright, I guess."

I felt my face soften.

'Oh, he's just checking on me. That's kind of sweet' I thought.

"I'm alright, thank you for checking up on me...Uh..." I said, trying to remember whether or not I knew his name.

"Oh, Rafael! My name is Rafael" he said, introducing himself "You know, now that I think about it, just coming up to you to check up on you must've been kinda weird since you didn't even know my name..."

"No, it's alright. I thought it was quite thoughtful of you, Rafael" I assured him.

He nodded at me before gesturing to the table that he and his friends were sitting at.

"Uh, do you wanna sit with us?" he offered "We've heard a lot about you, I kinda wanna hear what's actually true."

I glanced at the table where Camilo and the rest of them were already sitting. Camilo waved his hand, gesturing for me to come over and I shrugged back at him.

"Or you could go to your friends, we could catch up another time!" Rafael said, probably noticing Camilo and I's not so subtle silent conversation.

"Oh, it's fine" I said, shaking my head slightly "I'll sit with you guys!"

Rafael smiled at me and we took seats at his friends' table next to each other.

"Oh! You're Y/n!" another person sitting at the table announced, their bright green eyes catching my attention.

"Um, yes, I am?" I agreed.

"Oh, sorry! It's just...I've heard a lot about you!" the person said.

"It seems that everyone has" I joked.

This made the other person, as well as the others sitting at the table to chuckle a bit.

"I'm Enzo!" the person said.

"Pleasure to meet you, Enzo!" I exclaimed.

"This is Hugo" Rafael said, gesturing to another person at the table.

Hugo had black hair and deep brown eyes as well as the same tooth necklace that Rafael had. I noticed that Hugo was wearing gloves and that the top two buttons on his shirt were unbuttoned too. I noticed that everyone at the table did the same. I guess it was just a look that they were going for.

"Aaand that's Lydia!" Rafael continued, pointing to a girl with deep red hair and blue eyes "My girlfriend!"

Lydia turned away shyly at that.

"Rafael, let's not just shout that at new people, yeah?" Lydia said, hiding her face in her loose hair.

"Why not? I'm proud to be your boyfriend, I will shout it on the roof if I must" Rafael said in a "matter of fact" type way.

"Ay, Rafael, you're embarrasing" Enzo joked as he took a scoop of his food.

They laughed for a moment, I laughed too. Then the attention was turned onto me.

"So Y/n, is it true that you and your family are magical?" Lydia asked, eagerly.

"Yes, that rumour is true" I confirmed.

"See?! I told you that I saw them shapeshift!" Hugo said, pointing at Enzo.

"Haha! Yeah, sometimes I help out around town with my gift!" I said, proudly.

"That's really cool, Y/n!" Rafael exclaimed.

"Wait, so you really can shapeshift?" Enzo asked "I thought that was...Camilo's thing, right?"

"Oh, my gift is a little different" I explained "I can only shapeshift into the person that my taget loves the most! It's very similar in the shapeshifting sense though."

"Wait, actually?" Hugo said, suddenly taking interest "Do me, then."

I granted his request. I stared at him for a moment, locking in my target. I closed my eyes, took in a harsh breath and felt my body morphing. I opened my eyes and looked down at my hands. I had turned into a person with dark skin, black hair and I was wearing a white and yellow shirt with flared sleeves as well as a dark, nearly black, skirt.

"Oh shit, that's cool" Enzo said, touching the shirt.

"Damn, you actually look...alot like my mum" Hugo said, somewhat impressed.

"Yeah! You were totally right, Hugo!" Lydia said, smiling.

"Of course I was, I'm always right" Hugo bragged.

"Right about...what?" I asked.

"Oh!" Enzo exclaimed "Once, Hugo said that because of your powers, you could replace that dumbass brat Camilo!"

Then I felt my heart sink.

----------

Oh no...The nice people that were checking up on you and thought that your gift was cool were the people talking shit about Camilo!

And you just sat down with them! And Camilo saw you!

He must me heartbroken :)

What have you done? So sad...

-Kolour