Chapter seventy three: A surprise

Casita made a branch of the artificial cherry tree shake and the little bells in the cherry blossom flowers jingled in a high soothing note.

"Oh, Camilo and Adriana are nearly back!" Mirabel said.

I gave her an odd look.

"What? How did you know?" I asked.

"Casita just told me" Mirabel answered nonchalantly as if your magical house telling you something was totally normal.

"You can understand it?" I asked.

"Well, sort of" Mirabel replied "It's not like I can hear Casita talking to me with words like Antonio hears his animal friends, but I've been interacting with Casita since I was born! I picked up on some of the ways that it tries to communicate."

"Interesting" I said.

Then we heard the front door crash open.

"We're homeeee!" I heard Camilo's voice shout from downstairs.

The branch jingled again.

"Casita says 'told you so'" Mirabel said.

I rolled my eyes at Mirabel and Casita. Then I looked down at the floor and readied myself to jump.

"Don't forget to bend your knees," Mirabel reminded.

"Right" I said, taking note of that.

Then I leaped off of Mirabel's bed and landed on the soft, plush ground. Mirabel cheered and clapped when I landed. I turned towards her and bowed as if I had just performed a theatre show. Then I made my way towards the window and peered downstairs and saw Camilo and Adriana laughing together.

'Aw, they're getting along' I thought.

Camilo looked up and noticed me staring down at him from the window. He waved at me energetically. I waved back.

"Hola Camilo!" I yelled.

"Hola, Y/n!" Camilo yelled back "I got you a mask! Miguel too!"

"I'll be down in a sec!" I told him.

I opened the door and waved goodbye to Mirabel before closing the door behind me. I made my way downstairs and watched as Camilo handed the bag that he was holding to Adriana.

"Hey!" Adriana said, taking the bag despite her protests.

Once I stepped onto the first floor, Camilo hugged me. I hadn't braced myself for impact so the hug knocked some air out of my lungs. I hugged back awkwardly. His warmth was comforting.

Then I noticed Adriana making a disgusted face at me to which I rolled my eyes. Camilo pulled away from the hug and smiled brightly at me.

"What was that for?" I asked.

I wasn't complaining, I am definitely down for random hugs from Camilo but I was also curious as to why he had just done it.

"Uhh...I missed you, I guess" he answered, rubbing the back of his neck.

I let out a laugh and he chuckled along with me.

"It was only about thirty minutes but okay" I said.

"Thirty minutes is a long time without you, mi vida" Camilo flirted, jokingly.

He took my hand and placed a kiss on the back of my palm.

"Damn, you can't even be original with the pet names?" I shot back, jokingly "That's what Senor Felix calls Senora Pepa."

Camilo raised his hands in surrender.