Chapter twenty-one: The life of a Madrigal

When we went back to the table Camilo's friends were sitting at. Camilo waved at me, I was about to wave back but June shot me a look that told me that I shouldn't.

'What, now I'm not even allowed to be nice to him?' I thought.

We get to the table and I am about to take my seat next to Camilo because that's where I was sitting before. But June pushed ahead of me so that she could claim the spot first. I decided not to dwell on it too much and just take the seat that June was sitting in before. When I sat down, Amelia smiled at me.

"And that's when the cracks started appearing on the wall and the whole house was shaking and stuff-" Camilo said, gesturing dramatically and shiftshaping into different people to act the whole scene out "And then my sister, Dolores, starts screaming, which she never does, about how we're all doomed!"

I had no idea what story he was telling, Amelia noticed that I was confused and decided to generously help me out.

"Okay, stop" she said, causing Camilo to freeze "Recap real quick, y/n wasn't here when all of this happened."

"What? That actually happened? Dolores screamed?" I asked.

"Yeah, okay so basically in summer, Antonio got his gift and there was this whole thing where cracks in Casita and out magic was dying" he explained "Before you came to Encanto, we had a magic candle, sort of like your magic flower and it was totally gonna die."

He told me the whole story and finished just in time for the bell to ring, signifying that it was time for me to head to my next class. I got up from my seat and started making my way to my locker to put away my leftover food.

"Hey! Y/n, wait up!" Amelia said, dragging along Emilio.

"Amelia?" I asked.

"Yeah! I was just wondering what class you had next" she said.

"Oh, I have geography" I replied.

"With Mr. Lagos?" she asked, to which I nodded after glancing at my classes list.

"Perfect! You have that with Camilo, Emilio and I!" she said cheerfully.

"Oh, great!" I said "Wait, isn't there a project due in that class? Will I be expected to hand something in?"

"Oh, of course not! Mr. Lagos is a pretty chill teacher and it's your first day here" she replied "He won't make you do anything."

I sighed in relief.

"You will get the pleasure of seeing Emilio's super rushed presentation though!" she said, nudging my arm.

"Amelia! Please!" Emilio said, flustered.

I laughed. He was so uptight, it was endearing.

"Don't worry, Emilio, you'll do fine, you were working on it the whole day" I said.

"Gracias, y/n" he said, staring at his shoes.

"Ah! We have to go, we'll be late!" Amelia said with a gasp.

I followed the twins as they ran to the classroom. Amelia and Emilio took their seats, which were in the front row and I introduced myself to the teacher. Upon hearing that I was new, he decided to announce that fact to the whole class.

"Ah! Class, listen up!" he said, with an american accent "We have a new student, this is Y/n L/n! Cool that we have a L/n in our class, huh?"

I waved awkwardly to the class, who were all whispering amongst themselves.

"Y/n, there's an empty seat in the back that I readied for you" Mr. Lagos said.

I made my way to the back of the classroom. As I walked through the isle of students, I could hear a little bit of what they were saying.

"I heard that they live with the Madrigals, yeah, their whole family does!" one boy said.

"I'm pretty sure I heard June screaming at them in that one spooky area near the senior bathrooms" I heard a girl whisper to her friend.

"Apperently, they're magical too, I'm pretty sure I saw them shapeshift" a boy said in a nasally voice "They're pretty cute too, maybe they can replace that dumbass Camilo."

I nearly froze when I heard that. Then I noticed that Camilo was in this class too, in the back, only a seat away from the person that had insulted him. There was no way that he didn't hear him. I noticed him frowning, which was such a stain on his perfectly sunkissed face.

'That guy must be one of the dudes that Camilo said talked shit about him' I thought.

I took my seat and Mr. Lagos started listing the people who would be presenting that day, Emilio not being one of them. I saw him physically jump a bit when he noticed his name wasn't called. I guess Emilio had more time to work on his project.

From the corner of my eye, I saw Camilo laugh when Emilio sighed in relief. He really did have a gorgeous laugh. It was nice to see him smiling again.

Camilo seemed to be practically famous at this school, in Encanto in general. A lot of the gossip around this school surrounded him and his family and it wasn't always positive. In a way, I feel back for him. The pressure of everyone's eyes on you all the times, I was feeling pressure too and that was just from being someone who lived with the Madrigals. I couldn't begin to imagine the stress of being one.

The life of a Madrigal, I guess.

------

If you have not already noticed, this chapter was a bit uneventful. I am going through the tiniest bit of writers block and I am also not good at writing within a school setting.

I apologize if I made any mistakes regarding the Columbian school system, I have never experienced it and I didn't think to do any real research until after the chapter was written.

Thank you for 300+ reads btw! Idk if that's considered good for Wattpad standards but I'm thankful nonetheless.

-Kolour